Hold or sale new construction single family

2 Replies

hello bp, who builds new single family homes to rent. I'm a gc in the Nashville area trying to get a little insight on whether its a good idea to hold and rent new homes with 200.00 per month positive cash flow or being that its a sellers market sale and use the proceeds to by rental property. thanks in advance 

It depends entirely on what you're building. 

Typically with the cost of land and the cost to build new homes in the Nashville mkt make bad rentals. The only plus I see is that you can have zero $ in the deal. Build, refinance and the profit you would have made is now just your equity.

Alternatively if you're building townhomes those would make better rentals than SFH

Thanks for the reply Luka. I would be all in at 210,000 with 1518 sq ft with little to no money out of pocket like you stated which is why it sounds appealing but also there is quite a bit of cash to be made to put elsewhere that is why I'm on the fence. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you