General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Igor Aka
Votes |
Cash flow after income tax for rental property

Igor Aka
Posted Aug 20 2019, 14:42

Hi all - does anyone use cash-flow after income tax to evaluate the attractiveness of a property? I projected positive cash flow on a prospective property... until I added my expected income taxes, which turn the number red (primarily because principal payment is not deductible).

Curious to see how folks think about this.

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Aug 20 2019, 20:17
Typically all of the write-offs on a residential rental property negate any income tax you would have to pay. So no one really counts income tax as an expense but you don't have to pay much, if any, of it. Are you familiar with the tax benefits of rentals and how that all works?

User Stats

Votes
Igor Aka
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2019, 05:50

Hi Ali, I'm not very familiar with tax benefits of rental. Could you share some reference material on the topic?

Best,

Sacha

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jon A.
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Aug 21 2019, 07:30

Run a search on depreciation. Typically that offsets the income tax. Also, get to understand depreciation recapture when you sell. 

User Stats

Votes
Igor Aka
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2019, 09:37

Very helpful! thanks Jon

User Stats

Votes
Eric Shadowens
  • Accountant
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Aug 25 2019, 19:14

@Igor Aka

Igor, here is a link to an IRS publication discussing residential rental. As a tax accountant it’s great reading to me, but I’m sure it could be somewhat boring for others.

Consider reading through and you’ll likely come up with plenty of tax questions. Happy reading!!!

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf