Real estate agent working with Investors.

12 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets community,

My name is Jorge Mendoza I am a new Realtor in South Texas (McAllen and the RGV). I got my license primarily to help me and my family invest in real estate and we are on course to buy our first deal before the end of the year. As I became more involved in the industry I grew more passionate about becoming an outstanding real estate agent and specially in helping other investors.

My questions for investors is what do you look for in a real estate agent? What training if any do you expect them to have? If the agent is not an investor is that a deal breaker? How can an agent prove itself and convince you to work with them? That any and all other comments will be greatly appreciated! 

@Jorge Mendoza

When I am looking for a realtor I always use referrals from other investors; similar to looking for any other real estate professional. It takes a special type of realtor to understand what an investor needs. They need to find wholesale properties not retail which sounds simple but I have worked with many realtors that said they were investor realtors and would send me retail properties and other properties way outside of the criteria I provided to them. I think if you network with local investors and bring them wholesale deals you will start building your investor base.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Honestly? they need to show me good deals. As a cash buyer, I want access to your best ones, not your left over inventory.

This is likely to conflict with the agenda of an agent who is also an investor. 

I agree this could be a conflict of interest but for me personally starting out I want to limit myself to a couple deals a year and all the other deals I find I could pass on to investors. Thank you for you advice! 

@Jorge Mendoza I work with 90% investors and buy rentals through other agents in other states. I won’t even talk to an agent unless they own rentals and I think people like that I’m an investor when they work with me. Start buying rentals and you’ll be much more useful to investors!

Let me tell you from first hand experience. Make sure your only working with actual investors, and not "investors"

Lots of people like to call themselves investors, but in reality they are tire kickers, and wouldnt know/act on a good deal if it smacked them in the face.  They will sap your energy, and waste your time. Avoid them at all costs.  Fortunately its usually pretty easy to tell who is serious and who is not pretty early on in the relationship. 

@Jorge Mendoza In addition to the knowledge and experience based aspects of being an agent, do not forget to focus on the basics of being an agent. If you say you are going to do something, do it. The main complaints I get about agents are in relation to the customer service aspects of the job. 

@Jorge Mendoza , I'm an agent as well as an investor here in mcallen. I think it would be awesome to connect sometime and get to know each other. Feel free to send me a message and lets try to connect. Maybe we can help each other in some capacity.

Ditto Boone Tyson with one alteration I'm in DFW and have investment property in these and other out of state markets. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you