Votes
David Cook
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
Seeking tips on property surveys and lowering insurance costs

David Cook
  • Orange County, CA
Posted Nov 13 2019, 19:53

Hello. I am relatively inexperienced in the real estate world and I have a couple questions regarding property surveys and insurance. I am buying an out of state house (Florida) with cash (REO) and I was offered to have the property surveyed before the title company does their thing. My question is what kind of surveys are good to have if I want to get a good title report for a future Mortgage/HELOC, save money on property insurance and do some upgrades (install driveway, replace wood fencing, install rain gutters)?

My thinking is this:  If I'm going to order a boundary survey for the title report, should I request an ALTA survey to get more information on easements & location of underground utility lines?  

If I'm going to get a cash out mortgage or HELOC (BRRRR methodology) in the future once the house is fixed up, should I ask for Florida form 9 endorsement fro the title insurance company now? It's not required on cash purchases.

If I'm going to look for property insurance and potentially flood insurance (Florida has hurricanes) should I ask for an elevation survey? Would this even make sense if I'm over a mile from the nearest FEMA flood zone?

Thanks.

Loading replies...