Is now a good time to invest?

2 Replies

Late last year I set the goal of purchasing my first rental property this year (2020). I found a property in February and was about to start the process of purchasing it, but then COVID became a concern.

I’m still looking at properties and would like to purchase one soon. Specially 2-4 unit MF properties. But I am worried about people not being able to pay rent right now. Is that a legitimate concern I should have? Should I only purchase properties that have no tenants so I can properly screen new tenants that are able to pay rent? What are your thoughts BP?

Thanks,

Brayden

It's always a good time to buy as long as you get a good deal (property at the right price). Beyond a good deal you need to consider a few things.   First, check to see the stability of your market...is is a market that has many essential jobs?  Second, see what your options are for guaranteed rent - Section 8, housing credit/vouchers, etc.  Finally, if your goal is long term and you have good systems in place, you should be fine.  I honestly think there are going to be some great opportunities over the next 6 months.

Best of Success!

I think the most trouble you will have with non-paying tenants will be with existing properties...not new ones that need to be filled with new tenants.  New tenants need to sign a new lease, with up to two months rent and a security deposit.  If they are going to be missing payments, they most likely wouldn't have the start up funding to move in. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you