Refinance or sell property?

13 Replies

Hi

I’m currently holding onto 2 properties in Montclair, NJ and debating on selling them and move into another state with better weather in the Midwest and house hack over there.

My question is should I refinance these 2 properties. Use that money to pay for renovations and upgrades and then sell or just sell outright now as refinancing will put more money on the backend and it wont make much of a difference.

The renovations I’m thinking about doing is finishing both basements and adding bathrooms which can be an expensive job. Any insight would be helpful

Thank you in advance

Your friend

Jonathan

Hey @Jonathan Rivera ! I guess it's really a question of will those repairs you'd make worth the money, time, etc you'd spend, and would they net more in a sale? I would really comp out other sold properties in the area that perhaps have finished basements and the amount of baths you're looking to end up with. Do those sales prices warrant the money spent?

If you were to sell those two as they are and still net what you need to begin you're new plan in the Midwest, I would say maybe the effort in refinancing, renovating, etc isn't worth the squeeze. But, it really is about what will get you toward your goal.

Hey @Jonathan Rivera , I'm a local realtor and budding HOLD/BRRRR investor in your area (properties owned in Glen Ridge & Montclair currently). I think there are a lot of factors into deciding what your best decision wil be with your properties, but generally speaking the market is very strong in Montclair right now and may be a big influence in what path you choose.

@Jonathan Rivera   - Go with your gut.  If your gut says sell and start over then do that.  You'll end up doing it anyways the first time management screws you or you get a nasty tenant turn.  Save yourself the refinance cost and time.

Hi Jonathan,

Still a bit new to real estate but what is it about refinancing that would be difficult? With those two properties, you are bringing in monthly cash flow so why would you sell?

Or is it because you believe properties are so hot right now that you want to sell at the peak of the market?

Thanks so much!

I would use an excel spreadsheet and simulate each scenario up to 5 years. 

Scenario 1. Sell with without any repairs - closing cost, buy new property and rent it out + appreciation

Scenario 2. Do the 2 basement and sell it out for higher value  ( Ask your realtor if additional bedrooms are increasing the overall value. If it cost you 10k to add a bedroom and bathroom and this add 20k in overall value than is a good investment. But check how much refinancing cost you )

Scenario 3. Keep the 2 , refinance, add basement, and rent it out for higher rent. + Appreciation in your market

When you simulate everything on a excell spreedsheet you should get a clear idea which scenario is best. This is what I always do when I have a difficult decision. You have to translate everything into numbers and from the numbers you can make a decision. 

Without proper numbers in your description no one can give you a definitive answer. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you