Looking for a short term rental in Maine for March 2021

7 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets:  I am driving one-way to Maine from California around March of 2021.  I intend to buy a house in Maine but I need to stay in a short term apartment for a couple of months while I shop for a house.  Does anyone know of any rentals in Maine that I could stay short term?  Also, how do you secure a place to rent from a long distance?  I don't want to have to come see the place; I would rather just rent it out from afar and move in without seeing it.  But how do you get a landlord to hold a place for you?  I  see there are places for rent on craigslist but I don't know how to approach the situation of asking a landlord to save a place for me.  And I don't want to put money down on a place that I find out about on craigslist because we all know about the scams.  Thanks for your help!

I think your best bet is going to be to wait until it gets closer to reach out to landlords and listings. It is unlikely that you will find a landlord planning for a March rental before 1/1/21.

@Ruth P. If it's only for a few months, you might be better off at something like an Extended Stay America.  https://www.extendedstayameric...  Or possibly an AirBnB.

It's going to be tough to find a landlord who will rent for such a relatively short time.  You might get lucky, but most look for at least a 12 month term. 

One of the funny things about Maine is that rentals don't hit our MLS. Your best bet is to look at Hotpads and Apartments.com. Beware of Craigslist scams where a crook presents a fake property for rent, collects a deposit and then vanishes. I'm not aware of those popping up on the other sites, but beware anyway.

To set expectations, think in terms of anywhere from 1-3 weeks to find the right property (unless you have especially stringent requirements).  It could go a little slower as there are fewer listings in the winter. 

Once you have a property under contract, plan on 30-45 days to close, so you could potentially be in that hotel for over 8 weeks.

Be sure to get a solid pre-approval and don't let it expire.

Good luck - and welcome to Maine!

Oh, by the way everyone, I forgot to mention that I have cats, so if there's anyone out there who doesn't mind allowing 2 sweet, clean cats at their rental, please let me know.  Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you