should I cash out $240k @ 3.5%?

1 Reply

Hello,

Wife and I are 26/29. We make approximately ~170k in W2 in DFW.

I have a paid off rental valued at $330k. I can cash out approximately $240k at 3.5%. However, closing costs are about $8000. Property rent is $2500.

My wife and I live in another property off the proceeds of the first rental. this home may not cash flow well in the future. In the future we would like to buy a much larger/nicer home in a good school district ~500k.

Note: We do have a HELOC on the rental, but the bank is about to close on the HELOC because it is no longer a primary residence.

Is it worth while taking a cash out refinance on the first property and putting proceeds in the stock market?

Finding another deal is going be very difficult, and part of me wants to just passively invest and diversify in the stock market.

What would you suggest and/or do?

@Joesph Stark will the home continue to appreciate? One of the things I think about when I do a big cash out is whether or not there will be more upside in the future. If you can borrow the equity and redeploy and then see appreciation I can't see any negatives. Of course, you will cash flow less with the debt in place so just make sure you also don't have any looming CapEx issues like a roof, windows, driveway, etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you