Best Qualities in a Real Estate Agent

12 Replies

Hey All,

Hope everyone is staying busy and safe!

I was just wondering what the best qualities a Real Estate Agent can have when working with Investors? From the big things to small, what are things Real Estate Agents have done for you that you love and really stood out to you? I'd love to hear everyones opinions!

Truly be a fiduciary for your clients and add value after the sale.  Anyone can find someone a home.  But having experience and relaying that experience to your clients so they can learn from your mistakes (so they reduce the chances of making the same ones) is priceless.  

Oh, and actually be an investor themselves first and foremost.  Hard to take lessons on driving from someone who's never actually been behind the wheel but only sat in the passenger seat.  

Being a fiduciary is #1, responsiveness, familiarity with your goals, market knowledge and experience. I only use agents who are investors myself!

@Austin Higgins

Something I wish I would see from a real estate (but haven't): There is a turnkey real estate company that sends me emails bi-weekly. The email contains pictures of the house, general information (number of beds, baths, square feet etc), and based on 20% down, the estimated ROI, cash flow etc. The real estate agents simply send daily emails based vaguely on my location, price and BR/BA requirements.

Responsiveness is the key. You need to find an agent that is responsive and has strong follow up skills. A lot of people say all realtors are the same but that simply isn't the case. Some may only sell 1 or 2 houses in a year and do it "on the side" while other agents are moving 100+ homes. Find an agent that is willing to take the time to be responsive and take care of you as an investor - don't settle. After all, you are paying for their service whether they work hard or not.

@Austin Higgins No matter what find an agent that knows about working with an investors because it's not the same as regular real estate. You want someone who knows about the different loans, has a great hard money lender even if you are paying cash because sometimes something comes up and you might need additional funds.  make sure that agent knows about the investor market in the area you are looking. Some agents think oh I can help you but they have no clue and do you not understand how you're looking at things compared to someone buying a home to live in. 

Originally posted by @Travis Lebsack :

@Austin Higgins

Hello Austin

You need a agent that responds quickly. Responsivness. An agent the is comfortable using the latest/updated technology. E-documents. And an agent the will fight for you, guide you, listen to you and make sure to answer any and all of your questions.

Good luck!

Hey Travis,

I appreciate the response and couldn't agree more! Those are great points, thanks so much!

Sincerely,

Austin 

Originally posted by @Jonathan Oh :

@Austin Higgins I love it when an agent tells me to walk on a deal that doesn't make sense for me. It shows they took the time to understand my goals and have the honesty to put my interest over their commission check.

@Jonathan Oh I love that!  When it comes down to the investor and realtor relationship, they should be a part of the same team. Everyone has to win. Thanks for the response! 

Sincerely,

Austin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you