Investing in Indianapolis or Columbus

6 Replies

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on investing in these two areas. What would you recommend. I understand that on one street you can have a nice property and then turn the corner and not have a nice property. So relative to c+ and b level properties can anyone give insight what they feel would be a better area to invest in with regards to cash flow and appreciation.

I think the definition of buying a nice property is relative to your goals of cash flow vs appreciation. That is why it helps to connect with locals who are familiar with the markets. I may be biased but I prefer Columbus since you can get a nice combination of both. @Matthew Swearingen

Originally posted by @Matthew Swearingen :

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on investing in these two areas. What would you recommend. I understand that on one street you can have a nice property and then turn the corner and not have a nice property. So relative to c+ and b level properties can anyone give insight what they feel would be a better area to invest in with regards to cash flow and appreciation.

I live in Columbus, Ohio so I am able to invest locally. I enjoy living in the city and the real estate community is great.

I'm a local investor and live in Columbus too. Investing locally is great so I'm very biased to Columbus. 

@Matthew Swearingen  Do you have any family or friends in either city? Something like that may be a deciding factor. 

Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill :

@Matthew Swearingen here is an example you will not find anywhere in Indiana...or many other states for the matter...this is only one of our top 20 performing zip codes

Actually, you can find similar neighborhoods like that in Indianapolis. Median prices throughout all of Marion County are up 18.6% YOY and many neighborhoods up much more than that. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you