A Friend Wants in: How?

1 Reply

My wife and I are under contract on a duplex currently (purchase price 283). While I was telling a close friend of mine about the property he said to let him know when I’m purchasing my next property and that he has funds and wants in.

He could probably provide 140 and I thought about pitching him on splitting the current duplex with him (I’d have a mortgage on the other $140 and would essentially get my deposit back out so I could hold my funds for another property. How does someone do this (tax-wise and legally speaking)?

I am purchasing it under my name (not an LLC currently)

It wouldn't be an exact split since you will still be paying taxes on the rental income so its best to create an LLC and keep it all on paper. You will have to get your CPA and an attorney on the call and discuss how to handle this. It will take you an hour's fee of your CPA and attorney but you will get the clarity on the partnership. Just have all the questions ready before setting up the call.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you