Cash out refinance opinions

2 Replies

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback about this. I'm considering doing a cash out refinance on one of my rental properties. I'm looking at taking 30k out and changing it from a 30 year into a 15 year. The PITI would be $1380. My current PITI is $840. Rent is $1700. Over the course of the refinanced loan, the total amount paid would be about $188k. Over the course of my current loan, the total amount paid would be $302k.

It seems to make sense to do a cash out refi because I'm long term paying less money for a larger loan. I get cash now rather than waiting a couple of years for a 30k profit. Obviously the risk is that the new numbers figure for me to break even when I factor in maintenance, vacancy, capex. It currently cash flows a few hundred a month. Also, I don't have a crystal ball and I can't say for certain what rents will do in the next 15 years. To mitigate that risk, my other rental property I get $1400 rent with the PITI at $704. I figure between the two properties, I shouldn't have to use money from my regular job to pay for expenses because the cash flow on the second property is large.

I’m just looking for some opinions about this. I think it makes more sense to me to pay less over the course of a loan and get cash now. But it certainly comes with risk. 

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

Hey @Gayle Melnick  Would you ever consider doing a portfolio refinance on your two properties to access more cash to expand? Just a thought.

These decisions are based on what you are trying to achieve specifically. I once refinanced a rental property for twice what I paid for it. Rates were actually higher when I did this also. For me it was an amazing move as I used that capital to purchase another deal with a very high ROI and cash flow. It depends on your strategy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you