First rental property investment

3 Replies

If you plan to buy retail and you don't want to move your primary residence, look for the worst house in the best neighborhoods. You'll have to pay twenty- to twenty-five-percent down because it's an investment property.

An often more effective strategy is to move to a new house and rent the one you previously lived in. Then you have access to lower interest loans, only need to put down 5% and have the added benefit of shopping through your own eyes, meaning your future renters will be as comfortable living in the home as you are.

We've done that twice now, and it's been tremendously impactful. Best of luck!

You will need 25% for the down payment of an investment property (if you traditionally finance the property) and then you'd probably need an extra 10,000 for reserves because things always break. Be safe!

I agree with @Jody Sperling . There's real value in being able to get into a property for a lower down payment when you'll be living there. If you can add some value while you live there, you're building up the asset to get a bit more cash flow later. I'm in the middle of fixing up my primary residence to do just that right now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you