• Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Private money and principle payments

Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Jun 4 2022, 16:26

Guys,

How to structure private money loan so it's not an interest only loan, but payments goes towards equity from the very first payment ,or at least after after 1 year?

Do we have some clause in the agreement on principle-only payments or is there another way to structure it?

What would be the most typical structure that private lenders are comfortable with?

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Herman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 4 2022, 16:44

@Olga Kostrova borrowing 100k @ 10% your principle paydown in 1 year is approximately $550. Most private lenders don't want their money tied up for long periods of time. With the fed raising the interest rate 8 times this year mortgage rates will follow. Maybe the private lender will renegotiate the interest in a couple of years.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jun 4 2022, 18:09

@Olga Kostrova, you can draw it up like any other loan, with a loan payment schedule. Amortize it however makes both parties comfortable. 5 years, 15 years, 30 years.  Whatever you want.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jun 5 2022, 05:17

@Olga Kostrova No private lender is going to lend you money without making the interest they want....why would they?  The money is not supposed to be free.

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jun 5 2022, 05:21

@Wayne Brooks, I never said I would pay no interest, I have not fallen from the moon.  :-)

I mean some payments to be principles only, to expedite equity accumulation, just like with bank mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jun 5 2022, 06:50
Quote from @Olga Kostrova:

@Wayne Brooks, I never said I would pay no interest, I have not fallen from the moon.  :-)

I mean some payments to be principles only, to expedite equity accumulation, just like with bank mortgage.

Well, just like with a bank mtg, you can make Extra principal payments if you want to.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff S.#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Jeff S.#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 5 2022, 09:46

The safest and easiest way to do this, @Olga Kostrova, is to simply find a private lender that allows pre-payments with no penalty. Some do and some don’t. Very common and it will be clearly stated in the note.

If your monthly minimum is the interest, then pay a bit more and tell the lender to apply it to your principal. This doesn’t lock you into any sort of amortized loan, though your payment strategy could reflect that, at your choice. If you want to or have to make the minimum interest-only payment at any time, this gives you that option.

The note should also specify the order your payment is credited (typically to fees, charges, and advances first, then to interest, and finally to principal). You’d be wise to carefully track these yourself, keeping a record of all payments and communications, since your lender or their servicer could easily misapply your intended overage.

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jun 5 2022, 14:43

Thank you, guys. All response are very helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Spector
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Jun 7 2022, 11:41

@Olga Kostrova: @Jeff S. answer is spot on.
As an alternative, you could just park your excess cashflow in a separate account to be used when you identify a second project.

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jun 7 2022, 11:49

Thank you very much, @Dave Spector

@Dave Spector

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Jun 8 2022, 02:09

@Olga Kostrova

The interest only is to help investors with smaller payments while renovations are ongoing. After renovations are complete you can find a lender who will refinance the property for a lower interest rate and longer term with no prepayment penalty.

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jun 8 2022, 03:11

Thank you, @Miranda Holland

User Stats

Votes
Frank Greg
  • Lender
  • rate.bid
Votes |
  • Lender
  • rate.bid
Replied Jun 8 2022, 17:06
@Olga Kostrova

Olga, usually the borrower is concerned about what you described if its a personal property as opposed to an investment property. When dealing with short term high rate rehab funds, the investor is usually looking to refinance out of the higher rate loan as soon as possible.

If it were rental, investors typically deploy any excess cash towards repairs, incidentals, reserves or acquiring other properties and not particularly attempting to pay off the loan. Unless of course you just have idle cash laying around.