Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Looking for financing help in Columbus ohio

Dorian Gray
Posted Jun 26 2022, 11:27

I applied for some mortgages recently and was declined based off my schedule E losses last year, one property had large repairs to be done. I was hoping to obtain another property, I already own 4 properties(6 units) one of which is paid off, and was looking for some advice on how to go forward. I have a lot of equity in the properties and have a around 15k for a down payment currently. Anyone having any advice for me?

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jun 26 2022, 11:32

@Dorian Gray
What kind of mortgages were you declined for? Were they conventional? 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 11:40

I’m not 100% sure, it was with chase though 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Paul Defngin
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Jun 26 2022, 16:55
Quote from @Dorian Gray:

Chase would most likely be a conventional financing. If your Schedule E shows repairs that are considered one time or long term capital expenses such as HVAC, Roof, etc, and you can document it with invoices, then you should be able to add them back like depreciation amongst other things. This is where you need to be communicating with a good CPA to properly document your expenses. 

If conventional financing does not work then look into alternative financing. There are loans that will will allow you to purchase an investment property with just using the property market rent to qualify for the mortgage, provided that the rent covers at least the mortgage. That said, they usually have a minimum loan amount of $150,000 and requires at least 20% down payment, for the most part.

Good luck. 

Vellum Mortgage, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 17:36
Quote from @Paul Defngin:
Quote from @Dorian Gray:

Chase would most likely be a conventional financing. If your Schedule E shows repairs that are considered one time or long term capital expenses such as HVAC, Roof, etc, and you can document it with invoices, then you should be able to add them back like depreciation amongst other things. This is where you need to be communicating with a good CPA to properly document your expenses. 

If conventional financing does not work then look into alternative financing. There are loans that will will allow you to purchase an investment property with just using the property market rent to qualify for the mortgage, provided that the rent covers at least the mortgage. That said, they usually have a minimum loan amount of $150,000 and requires at least 20% down payment, for the most part.

Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 17:37

Thanks for the insight, do you know what companies offer these loans? Have you done business with any?

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 17:38

No I have good credit. Think my three scores are 805, 785, and 790

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 26 2022, 18:46
Quote from @Dorian Gray:

I applied for some mortgages recently and was declined based off my schedule E losses last year, one property had large repairs to be done. I was hoping to obtain another property, I already own 4 properties(6 units) one of which is paid off, and was looking for some advice on how to go forward. I have a lot of equity in the properties and have a around 15k for a down payment currently. Anyone having any advice for me?

I would reach out to a mortgage broker so they can give you more options than Chase. @Chris Wharton and @Ashley Cross are great lenders here in Columbus, Ohio

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Wharton
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Jun 26 2022, 19:11

Dorian - let me know if you'd like to connect.  While a Schedule E is the first analysis of rental income, there's often opportunity to document why it's not an accurate representation of the properties P&L and why 75% of the existing 12mo lease is appropriate.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Winter
Pro Member
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Jun 26 2022, 20:38

Hey @Dorian Gray! I’m also buying in Cleveland!

Sounds like you’ve applied for a Chase loan. What else have you tried? 

There are so many loan product options within the different conventional, non conforming, and private money categories. There is something that will fit your situation if you keep digging. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Breshears
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jun 27 2022, 07:11

Hi Dorian!

As a private lender that lends out my own capital, I have the ability to be flexible on loan terms. For example, I can do a cross collateralization to the property you have free and clear (as long as it isn't your primary residence) or you could take out a short term private loan on that property and then refinance in a year when you've had another tax return. There's a couple different ways to structure something like this. I personally don't lend in Ohio, but just as an example of something that could be done with an individual private lender. 

User Stats

Votes
Dorian Gray
Votes |
Replied Jun 27 2022, 07:23

Thanks Alex! Can I ask why you don’t lend in Ohio? Just curious if there are legal barriers or purely a geographical barrier? Do you know of anyone in Ohio that does this, or how I would search for this kind of lender?

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 18:50

You can possibly do cash out refinances on Properties you have equity in so you can increase your liquidity. Depending on property values, you may qualify for 30yr term even with private lenders.  But it's hard to say without your numbers in front of me

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 27 2022, 19:55

You should definitely do a cash-out refinance and pull out some of your equity in those four properties so that you can then buy another property, thus scaling your portfolio. I can help you with said cash-out refinances. Slide into my dms. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Walko
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 27 2022, 19:57

You should hop on a call with a broker that can shop around a bunch of banks for you instead of going to 1 rep at chase.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 29 2022, 18:44

Explain to the lender that the repairs were one time expenses and you don't anticipate the same expenses for 2022 and going forward.

User Stats

Votes
Muhammad Amawi
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 1 2022, 09:40

Hey Dorian,

I’d be more than happy to connect to better understand your unique situation and take a look at everything for you

User Stats

Votes
Camile Case
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jul 4 2022, 16:51

DSCR loan no income docs from you as long as the property can pay for itself - cash out refi on the current properties owned if you need additional cash