• Little Rock, AR
Votes |
Creating Financing as a new investor

Benjamin Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Posted Jul 7 2022, 11:27

Hi BP,

I am a Real Estate Agent here in the Little Rock area. I am excellent at finding the right deals on and off market that allow for little to no money down at closing. I am looking for creative ways to create funding myself for deals I am able to locate before they hit the market. 

Any advice on how you got started with little to no money down as a new investor?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Quigley
  • Morton, IL
Votes |
  • Morton, IL
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:06

My plan, going forward, is to buy properties using Subject-To (making payments on the existing mortgage) with the goal to pay the remaining amount by Seller Financing so I do not have to get a Loan or other financing.  But the Seller almost always is looking for some cash, so some money or financing will always be needed.  

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:09

Is there any specific way you have done this or negotiated this in the past? 

Rentec Direct logo
Rentec Direct
|
Sponsored
Most Customer-Friendly Landlord Software One app that does it all - with free training and US-based support.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Quigley
  • Morton, IL
Votes |
  • Morton, IL
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:26

I'm part of a REI group that has trained us on how to make the presentation using tools they've provided (we bought).

I would go through the numbers with a Seller to show them all the Costs associated with selling their house and what their final cash amount could be.  Let them know that they could spread out the capital gains tax by seller financing the cash amount to you over terms.  Be sure to include the Dealer commissions even if you may not use them, and the other Mortgage, Insurance and Property Tax amounts they are responsible for until the property is closed on.  They would only pay tax on the amount they received in a year instead of the entire amount (which could possibly push them into a higher tax bracket).  

Show them how they are protected in the Subject-To sale because IF you fail to make payments on the mortgage, they will know about it immediately since it is still in their name, and in worst case scenario they would get the house back, but we never want this to happen. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 8 2022, 09:32

@Benjamin Thomas I don't think I understand your question - if you're finding these deals that allow for little to no money at closing then aren't you all set?

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Replied Jul 8 2022, 09:35
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Benjamin Thomas I don't think I understand your question - if you're finding these deals that allow for little to no money at closing then aren't you all set?

Looking for a different approach such as Bill Quigley's answer about Seller Financing