Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Votes |
Can you build equity the same way through a private mortgage?

Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Posted Aug 7 2022, 13:19

I'm debating whether to purchase my mother's home through a private mortgage as a way to start house hacking but want to make sure I am able to build equity in a way that will allow me to use it to purchase a second property. My mom's house is paid off and she's willing to give me a great interest rate of about 2%. My husband and I would move into the main house and my mom will move into the basement apartment. She'll pay below market value for rent in NYC, but it will still help lower our monthly costs. We still have to get the house appraised and discuss purchase price, but wanted to know if this is something I should even entertain or just continue to save up for a down payment on a single family property in a more landlord friendly state without house hacking?

Thank you in advance for the replies.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Aug 7 2022, 14:00

If not the same way, very similar. You're mom would be in the same position as any lender if she held the 1st position mortgage note on the property. If you close through a title company or real estate attorney, you and your mom's position should be secured, that way your equity in the property should the same. 

Now if the paperwork isn't where it should be and it could be a potential mess as to who's entitled to whatever equity in the property. 

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 7 2022, 14:11

Thank you for the reply. We fully intend to use a real estate attorney so that is good to know.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Voorhees
  • Lender
  • CA TX AZ MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • CA TX AZ MA
Replied Aug 7 2022, 19:31

Hi Lauren - I want to add that 2% is a great rate too - over 3% below market - so that should allow you to build equity even faster.  In addition, by getting a loan from your Mom you are avoiding lender fees as well.  And finally, your Mom is avoiding real estate commissions by selling to you, so you might negotiate a discount in light of that (making the deal you are getting even better).  It sounds like a win/win for both you and your Mom though. 

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 8 2022, 03:41

Great point about the lender fees and commission. Thank you Jay.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 9 2022, 05:42

Hey @Lauren Mattina - I'm a realtor & investor based out in NYC. 

On paper this makes a lot of sense, but I'd like to point out that your relationship dynamic with your mother will change after this (regardless of how close you are).

A private mortgage is a great way to get a rate under market, I recommend using your attorney & title company to ensure everything is recorded accurately. You may want to consider getting a traditional mortgage & 'refinance' out of your mother's mortgage after you've built enough equity into home. 

P.S. Make sure it's an actual private mortgage and not a land contract. 

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 9 2022, 08:00

What would be the benefit of transitioning to a traditional mortgage after building equity?

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 10 2022, 04:20
Quote from @Lauren Mattina:

What would be the benefit of transitioning to a traditional mortgage after building equity?

If you're asking from the perspective of 'why traditional mortgage and not private mortgage': 

Besides the traditional mortgage being reported to credit bureaus, you'll avoid any resentment/conflicts between your mother and both you & your husband. I've witnessed situations where private family mortgages have caused a lot of tension with my clients, and therefore I strongly advise against it as a permanent solution. 

If you're asking from the perspective of 'why wait to build equity and not just do it right away?': 

Traditional banks will want to see around 20%+ equity in the home before they consider 'refinancing' your file. 

It's my $0.02, I've seen this situation play out multiple times, good luck and feel free to DM me if you want to chat further thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Mattina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 10 2022, 08:33

I appreciate your insight, there is a lot to consider here which is why I'm so torn on it. I'll continue to mull this over and reach out if other questions come up. Thank you again for your time on this.