Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Heather Skow
Votes |
Any lenders able to do airbnb loans for less than 20% down?

Heather Skow
Posted Aug 7 2022, 14:55

I am looking to purchase my first Airbnb property and wondering if there are ways around having to put the traditional investment property down payment of 20% down.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Aug 7 2022, 15:05

In private lending, down payment pricing is primarily based off the borrower's experience and credit scores. Down payment is usually between 10 and 20% of the loan amount. 

However, it's still worth it to apply for the loan offer. If you can't afford their down payment requests, they or some other lender might be willing to meet you where you are if it's a good deal 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Voorhees
  • Lender
  • CA TX AZ MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • CA TX AZ MA
Replied Aug 7 2022, 18:48

Most lenders will treat your AirBnB like any other investment property and require 20% down at a minimum.  If your down payment funds are limited and you own another property, you might consider getting a home equity line of credit to garner additional cash. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2022, 07:05

If you're buying an investment property, you're going to need to put at least 20% down.

If you've buying a 2nd home that you rent out a few nights per year, your lender may have an option to put lower money down.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 8 2022, 07:34
Quote from @Heather Skow:

I am looking to purchase my first Airbnb property and wondering if there are ways around having to put the traditional investment property down payment of 20% down.

Thanks!

In todays environment it is highly unlikely you will find anything with less than 20% down

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Hale
  • Lender
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Sep 30 2022, 14:57

A little late to the party here but I'm a private lender in Central California.  You should see if a private lender would lend 65-75% Loan to value and then ask the seller to carry a small second for a year or two to cover the rest of the purchase price.  Might be a way to get over the down payment requirement

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Sep 30 2022, 15:03

Thanks!

Hey Heather! 

How long have you owned your primary? You might want to strategize by doing a HELOC or Cash out refinance to fund the rest of the required down payment. You might be able to get away with second home financing but some lenders are strict in their property requirements. It will be best if you speak with a broker. Happy to connect.

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 2 2022, 09:36

Thanks!

you need to be very careful on what you sign in the loan documents regarding your occupancy - different loan type options will typically have requirements in both directions - some you can't stay in the property yourself more than 14 days per year, others there will be a minimum amount of days you must stay in the property (or not use it as a short term rental)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 29 2022, 22:00

Yeah I  know Im replying late, but I have a couple of lenders that do 15% down on an investment purchase. The rate is not pretty but it can be down to get started.