Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes

finding small loan company for property purchase.

Benjamin Brookes
Posted Sep 7 2022, 05:25

I am looking to purchase a condo in my area, but the cost is $60k. I am having a hard time finding a loan company that will take on a small amount. Any suggestions on loan companies that might deal with low price point loans?

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 7 2022, 05:37

Its very hard to make the economics work as a lender at such a low amount, have you considered private money or an individual looking to deploy capital?  I would also check out the Creative Financing board and exploring some of those options/ideas

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Sep 7 2022, 06:05

@Benjamin Brookes, is it for your personal residence or investment purposes? If investment, I'd follow @Robin Simon's advice.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Sep 7 2022, 09:29

The further below 100k purchase price, the harder it is to find a company interested in funding the deal. Are you planning on doing repairs on this property? I'm assuming you're looking for a long term rental loan for this property 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Brookes
Replied Sep 7 2022, 09:53

Yes, this is for an investment long term property, no real repairs needed except for some cosmetics. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Sep 8 2022, 06:24
Quote from @Benjamin Brookes:

Yes, this is for an investment long term property, no real repairs needed except for some cosmetics. 

Private investors/lenders are the way to go. Check your local REIAs and networking groups.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Sep 8 2022, 08:38

I honestly don't know if anyone would be able to hit the APOR requirements after the condo and investment property hit were both factored in. Hopefully you're putting 25% down to make the condo hit go away.

Get a referral from the listing agent. If she wants a commission check, she should have one. 

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Karl Denton
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Replied Sep 29 2022, 13:07

I have had good luck from Nima Rezvan as a senior mortgage broker (203)913-6016  
Nimaloans.com

User Stats

Votes
John Femenia
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied Sep 30 2022, 07:20

Our min is $75K loan amount. Hard to get lender to look at deals under $100k.  mIght be able to find a local one-off person.  Sometimes our borrowers pull equity from another property to fund deals that dont fit the lending box

User Stats

Votes
Alex Breshears
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Sep 30 2022, 07:36

As a private lender myself, this is something we routinely fund in my markets because of this lower asset levels. Depending on what state, I may know a private lender in that market. I am the coauthor for BiggerPockets private lending book, Lend to Live. I mention this because the book can be a blueprint for you to build your own army of private lenders. I work with an active investor in this type of market to help her build this private lender army to fund all her deals. She routinely gets loans for $20k to $50k for her acquisitions, and then after she has enough, she refin's into a portfolio loan with several properties, and then starts again. There are ways! Feel free to send me a message if you have questions, but in case you are interested in learning more about the private lending process here is a link to the book: https://store.biggerpockets.co...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 30 2022, 07:47

I have done what @Alex Breshears mentioned. I live in WV and my market has really low values. Most of my purchase prices are under $50k and usually need about $10k to $20k of rehab. I've been investing for about 6 years in that market, and over time I've built a network that wants to work with me. My first lender was actually an attorney that saw me close a bunch of these loans with friends and family money, so he lent me $50k on a property.  He earns some income, I get to purchase the property and run it as a rental.  I now have about 10 people who act as lenders for me, and I've had private loans for a few years because I always pay my lenders on time and consistently.  They like the monthly money without having to own a rental themselves. It is a business model that takes some work upfront, but it really keeps me from having to deal with underwriters and loan requirements that don't fit where I invest.