Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
David Simpson
Votes |
Origination fee... real or fake?

David Simpson
Posted Oct 4 2022, 10:30

Is it common, when dealing with private money lenders, to have an "Origination fee"?  How do you know that it isn't a scam?  Does anyone recommend a private money lender for a rookie to real estate investing?  I currently have 2 deals on the table, with no funding.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Oct 4 2022, 10:36
Quote from @David Simpson:

Is it common, when dealing with private money lenders, to have an "Origination fee"?  How do you know that it isn't a scam?  Does anyone recommend a private money lender for a rookie to real estate investing?  I currently have 2 deals on the table, with no funding.

You pay any origination fee, generally 1% to 2% depending on the interest rate, at closing in front of an escrow agent. Any fees before that are scams.

If they say it's a "processing fee", same thing. 

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • CA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 10:37

Hi, David. You usually won't find a lender who doesn't require an origination fee. Very few do not require it, but the origination fee is how companies make their money for the work that goes into originating a loan. Also, many loan officers are commission only and the origination fee pays their commission. 

Hope this helps, would love to connect.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Oct 4 2022, 10:43

Hey @David Simpson - origination fees are normal. I used to work as a business loan broker, origination fees also applied in that space. That's how banks make money, interest and origination fees. 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 4 2022, 11:19

Yes - its perfectly common and normal, especially in a rising rate market like this where instead of really jacking up rates, lenders will compensate by allowing you to pay more in origination fee (points) so the property will cash flow and still make sense for both parties

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Beardt
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 11:23

Hi David,

Yes, it's almost industry standard for private money lenders to have some sort of origination fee. That being said, it should ALWAYS be paid at closing once the loan actually closes. There are MANY brokers/lenders in the forums that can work with beginner RE investors, I would say most if not all. Usually they'll just require that you've had some sort of home ownership in the past, such as a primary residence, but that's not always the case. You can do some research on different lenders in the Network tab above or check out the various forums where they are actively posting. I'd say do some research and understand exactly what you're getting yourself into when working with a specific broker/lender. Don't go into the process not knowing what to expect. Also, talk to a bunch of them, you'll learn a lot along the way which'll help you grow as an investor. Best of luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Torres
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Oct 4 2022, 12:36

@David Simpson completely normal

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Oct 4 2022, 14:25

Hey David, 

The origination fee is perfectly normal. Typically they are from 1.5%-2% of the loan amount. Always paid at closing. 

If I may ask, why are you seeking private funding? Typically these loans are higher in rates and fees. 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Oct 5 2022, 05:20

As mentioned, it is 100% normal.  But only pay it at the closing table!!!!!  Any fees before that (except maybe appraisal or survey) are BS!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Oct 5 2022, 05:27

the way your asking the question I will bet dollars to donuts they are asking for a fee in advance to be sent to them through one of the on line pay portals.. these are ALL scams..  origination / points are as stated above included in virtually all loans.  Its when you pay it that is the issue.  Points/origination fee is paid at closing and ONLY to the title company Escrow company or closing attorney who ever is facilitating the close  NEVER EVER directly to the broker or lender. those are all scams full stop.

User Stats

Votes
Guy Gimenez
  • Investor
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied Oct 5 2022, 06:23

Depends on your definition of private money. I've had true PML's (individuals) for more than 15 years and I pay them points (this is pretty much the standard for PML's), but never an origination fee. My PML's are paid nothing monthly and receive their principal, interest and points when I close with the end buyer with nothing being paid monthly. Sounds like you're really using a hard money lender instead of a true PML. 

User Stats

Votes
Yamila Perin
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Oct 6 2022, 06:22

Hello David,

Origination fees are common in all type of loans, could be private money or not, that is how lenders makes their money. The origination fee most of the time is base on your experience, credit score and the property LTARV. I always recommend to have a lender ready before getting a property under contract. If you want more information you can send me a DM.

Have a nice day.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied Oct 9 2022, 15:36

@David Simpson

Origination fees due at closing are perfectly normal.  Usually between 0-3 points is what most lenders will charge.

Be leery of Due Diligence or Commitment Fees that are asked for up front before closing.  Not all are scams, but many are.  I personally, don't work with lenders who ask for these fees up front as there are too many other options that simply don't and offer the same or better terms.

Be careful out there.

Cheers!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.