Votes
Josh Smalley
  • Arlington, WA
Votes |
Expat Investor seeking lender who can do digital signatures

Josh Smalley
  • Arlington, WA
Posted Oct 11 2022, 20:50

I'm a teacher living abroad. I am ready to purchase another property in OKC but need financing options that work with my context. It is extremely difficult and expensive to do any notarizing of wet signatures from where I work. I need a lender who can help me but doesn't require wet signatures. 

Also, I'm wondering if there are, after covid times, services online that provide notarizing that would be accepted by various lenders. That would be the ideal option for me.

Any thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Oct 11 2022, 21:01

Where are you located? 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Smalley
  • Arlington, WA
Votes |
  • Arlington, WA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 21:41
Quote from @Miranda Holland:

Where are you located? 

I'm in Ethiopia. I come home every summer to the US for 6 weeks. I'm from Seattle originally. But investing in OKC. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cortland, NY
Replied Oct 11 2022, 22:12
Quote from @Josh Smalley:

Where are you located? 

I'm in Ethiopia. I come home every summer to the US for 6 weeks. I'm from Seattle originally. But investing in OKC. 

Wow! 

Typically, closing documents have to be signed and notarized at the title company or law firm.  There are digital notaries doing closings these days and international notaries extist but I'm not sure what private lending companies would do in your situation. Your documents might have to be authenticated over there in order to go through. Real estate lawyers and international realtors in Ethiopia might have information on how to purchase property in America. 

I'll ask lenders if they'll let a borrower close in Ethiopia 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Smalley
  • Arlington, WA
Votes |
  • Arlington, WA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 23:14
Quote from @Josh Smalley:

Where are you located? 

Wow! 

Typically, closing documents have to be signed and notarized at the title company or law firm.  There are digital notaries doing closings these days and international notaries extist but I'm not sure what private lending companies would do in your situation. Your documents might have to be authenticated over there in order to go through. Real estate lawyers and international realtors in Ethiopia might have information on how to purchase property in America. 

I'll ask lenders if they'll let a borrower close in Ethiopia 

Yeah, it would be through the embassy. It takes hours (aka, an entire day that I have to take off of work) and it's about $40 per notarized page. Therefore, it is not feasible to do wet signatures and notarizing from Ethiopia. I can close over the summer in the US. But my question is if there are any lenders who can help me close either by digital signatures or by a third party company that does notarizing. 

Thanks for your replies.