• Detroit, MI
Votes |
Trouble finding hard money for a low $200s ARV flip

Harold Rutila
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Detroit, MI
Posted Oct 28 2022, 12:14

The post title sums this up! I purchased a vacant single family home last October. It was $75,000. I spent the last year doing major utilities and security improvements with my own funding, and now am in need of about $120,000 to have a reputable contractor complete this fix and flip. I am planning to rent and refinance it when the project is complete. I am fine leaving my money in the deal (ie. I do not need cash out at origination of the hard money loan), but I have not found any hard money lenders interested in following up with me about this project. I had one lined up last summer, and then their terms changed, which made me ineligible because the property's ARV will be about $220,000, and not the $250,000 that they now require.

I know that lending is tightening up across the board, but perhaps someone on this forum knows of a firm I can use to get this project done. My contractor is very reputable and is excited to complete this project.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 28 2022, 12:22

You're going to have a difficult time finding hard money lenders that will do just reno, best bet is to find a private lender

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Oct 28 2022, 13:03
If the numbers change, change your approach. Perhaps partner with thr 'excited' contractor?
50 % of a something is better than 100% of a nothing.
Much success.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Harold Rutila
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Oct 28 2022, 14:19
Quote from @Bobby Feinman:

Harold

Happy to try and assist. Let me know if you want to jump on a call

Thank you! I will send you a PM.

@Aidan Dobbins yes, that is a good point. I thankfully did receive some messages from a few lenders. The broader point of reducing the loan to just the reno was to reduce the amount loaned, but to your point, most will presumably want to lend on the purchase price to secure a lien for after the refinance. Thank you for your comment!

@Bob Reinhard Thank you! I like your mindset tip.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Oct 28 2022, 15:54
Quote from @Harold Rutila:

The post title sums this up! I purchased a vacant single family home last October. It was $75,000. I spent the last year doing major utilities and security improvements with my own funding, and now am in need of about $120,000 to have a reputable contractor complete this fix and flip. I am planning to rent and refinance it when the project is complete. I am fine leaving my money in the deal (ie. I do not need cash out at origination of the hard money loan), but I have not found any hard money lenders interested in following up with me about this project. I had one lined up last summer, and then their terms changed, which made me ineligible because the property's ARV will be about $220,000, and not the $250,000 that they now require.

I know that lending is tightening up across the board, but perhaps someone on this forum knows of a firm I can use to get this project done. My contractor is very reputable and is excited to complete this project.

Hey Harold, 

Do you own any other investment properties that have plenty of equity? 

If so, a few hard money lenders could do a second position loan, if you were only looking for rehab money. Minimum loan amount of $100,000 and at least 65% LTV.

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dave McIntyre
  • Investor
  • Northern NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern NJ
Replied Dec 4 2022, 08:53

Hi Harold,

In case it can help, you might consider unsecured funding. Funds can be used for working capital.

Be happy to connect.

Best,

Dave