Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
N Wilson
Votes |
Just accepted the counter offer, What next?

N Wilson
Posted Nov 7 2022, 19:18

We are new investors, just starting out.  We were pre approved for a commercial loan, but should we try for conventional? Or something else?  We paid off the conventional loan on our primary residence a few years ago, and we have no experience with alternate financing options.  The property we are purchasing is a  3 unit residential house in Maine.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Avallone II
  • Lender
  • Morristown, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Morristown, NJ
Replied Nov 8 2022, 06:11

Hi @N Wilson

Not sure why you would need a commercial loan for a 3 unit residential home? I think you should certintely talk to another lender or two in order to see what other options you have. Should be able to do this with 25% down investment conventional loan.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 8 2022, 07:00

I'm also not sure why you are using a commercial loan for a 3 unit.

But you should call a big bank, a local credit union, and a mortgage broker. Have each of them evaluate your deal and give you their best financing option.

Doesn't really matter if it's commercial, conventional, or something else. The terms are what matter to you (fixed vs adjustable, rate, IO vs fully amortized, prepay, etc)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Beardt
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 10:17
Quote from @N Wilson:

We are new investors, just starting out.  We were pre approved for a commercial loan, but should we try for conventional? Or something else?  We paid off the conventional loan on our primary residence a few years ago, and we have no experience with alternate financing options.  The property we are purchasing is a  3 unit residential house in Maine.

Deciding between a commercial or conventional loan sort of depends on your risk tolerance what you can expect with the process. What was the reason you originally sought after a commercial loan? Are you having DTI qualification issues? Are you trying to avoid having the loan report on your credit? I recommend comparing the rate and terms of the commercial loan to conventional financing, apples to apples so you can get a better idea of the difference between the two. Commercial will be more expensive, but if you prefer the benefits of going with alternative financing over conventional, then that's up to you to decide. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 8 2022, 10:51
Quote from @N Wilson:

Commercial loan wouldn't make sense for a 3 unit, unless you are running into DTI issues. Did you go with this loan because you don't report enough income?

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 17:59
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @N Wilson:

Commercial loan wouldn't make sense for a 3 unit, unless you are running into DTI issues. Did you go with this loan because you don't report enough income?

Thank you all! I was told by a lender that because we are not planning to live in the house that we would need a commercial loan. This seems odd to me as well, which is why I needed advice. DTI is not a problem, nor is credit score.