Votes
Andrew Swaim
Pro Member
Votes |
I need lending advice

Andrew Swaim
Pro Member
Posted Jan 26 2023, 16:33

Hey guys I am moving my family into a home in a place with less crime and our house will be finished in 4 months, I am trying to buy investment properties in the meantime, but the lender told me if buy a investment property in the meantime I will mess up my “debt to income ratio” and I will loose the house I plan on living in. What on earth do I do?! 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Jan 26 2023, 16:36

wait 5 months

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 26 2023, 17:43
Quote from @Andrew Swaim:

Hey guys I am moving my family into a home in a place with less crime and our house will be finished in 4 months, I am trying to buy investment properties in the meantime, but the lender told me if buy a investment property in the meantime I will mess up my “debt to income ratio” and I will loose the house I plan on living in. What on earth do I do?! 

Use DSCR loans to purchase your investments and put them into an LLC - then you won't be hit for the debt. Feel free to message me directly for more questions and info

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:31

You need to rent out your initial home. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Ito
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
  • Temecula, CA
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:42

Don't let a speed-bump stop your vehicle from moving forward! If you have/find deals that are worth it that can't wait until the new house is finished, get creative. Creative financing won't necessarily effect your DTI. Seller financing, lease-to-own, wraps, subject-to, private lenders, hard money (if need be) are all ways to invest without traditional financing that will come up on your record. You can Google or YouTube any of those to get more info.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 27 2023, 05:18
Quote from @Devin Peterson:

Use DSCR loans to purchase your investments and put them into an LLC - then you won't be hit for the debt. Feel free to message me directly for more questions and info

Yes - this is the sweet spot for what DSCR loans are made for, borrow through an LLC like @Devin Peterson advised

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 27 2023, 05:43

@Eliott Elias What's a "DTI"?... why do I read these forums.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pack
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jan 27 2023, 05:53
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Eliott Elias What's a "DTI"?... why do I read these forums.

dti=debt to income

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:40

This is dangerous advice.

Using DSCR loans and putting them in an LLC will still impact DTI.

Here's why.

LLC's are pass through entities. They will show up on personal tax returns. The borrower will have to explain the properties on his Schedule E and if there is a mortgage on them. If the borrower is buying before the tax returns come out, the new lender won't know that portion, but MOST DSCR loans require a personal guarantee and because they have a personal guarantee, the personal guarantor is responsible for the debt and it should be disclosed (lying by omission is still lying). That new DSCR loans history or debt amount may not show up on personal credit, but it will show up in two other places, the Drive report that will be pulled by an underwriter and at the bottom of the credit report in the inquiries section. The borrower will have to explain a. why they have inquiries (shopping for a mortgage of course) and b. was there any new debt that resulted from the inquiry (the killer unless you want to commit mortgage fraud). Once the new property(s) are exposed, the owner occupied loan will be denied. There's no coming back from leaving mortgages, mortgage histories and additional financed properties off the application.

Just wait a couple of months.  It's not the end of the world.

Stephanie

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:42
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes - this is the sweet spot for what DSCR loans are made for, borrow through an LLC like @Devin Peterson advised

@Robin Simon Do you require a personal guarantee on your DSCR loans to a LLC?

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:44
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes - we require personal guaranty for anyone who owns over 25% of the LLC with an aggregate minimum ownership by guarantors of 50%.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Munson
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:45

Hi @Andrew Swaim

As indicated above, a DSCR loan won't show on your credit report; however, the credit pull will and, more than likely, you will have to explain where that pull came from.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:52
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes - we require personal guaranty for anyone who owns over 25% of the LLC with an aggregate minimum ownership by guarantors of 50%.

@Robin Simon Then the loan DOES go against his debt to income ratio. An LLC with a personal guarantee is just a loan to a person with a LLC wrapper. I am now sure why you would suggest that it would not effect his DTI. It is FRAUD to leave out a loan that you have personally guaranteed even if vesting in a LLC. Now if you said that they DSCR loan will likely not negatively effect DTI because he will likely be able to use 75% of the rent to cover the payment that would be true.

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsay Zwirlein
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 27 2023, 08:54

I would recommend having a broker review your situation because more info is needed.  Also you will want to speak with your current lender who is helping you on the new home that is being finished soon. If you have your credit pulled for an investment home, you will want to understand if that causes issues for them.

User Stats

Votes
Reid Chauvin
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Replied Jan 27 2023, 09:07

@Andrew Swaim - if you are able to get the prospective investment property leased out, and if the monthly rental income on the property is greater than the mortgage cost of the property (plus taxes, insurance, HOA fees) by a large enough margin then it will not have a negative effect on your DTI. It could even have a positive effect. An underwriter will want to see a signed lease agreement and likely proof of security deposit on the property. They will multiply the agreed upon monthly rent amount by 75% to derive the true rental income (this 75% factors in vacancies and management expenses). The true rental income less the mortgage costs referenced above is the number that will be included as part of your DTI calculation.

I would only use a DSCR loan instead of a conventional loan if you didn't have the income for a strong enough DTI ratio, which it sounds like that is not the case.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 27 2023, 09:13

I would try to work with your lender and if not find someone else. I have had to change lenders mid-process before because I found someone who could do better. You never know until you ask. If it is a lease they want then start showing your place to someone to lease set up. Find out what they want and whats holding you back and try to overcome that. There is the saying " Ask and you will receive."

User Stats

Votes
Luis Somoza
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 6 2023, 21:08

That's only if the loan itself is written to the LLC, and not in his name directly in any manner. Putting the property solely in a LLC but the mortgage in his name still makes it count against his DTI.

@Andrew Swaim wait till you're in your new home. Credit inquiries will show up on your credit report, and you will have to explain them. When you do that you will have to disclose that you obtained other mortgages, and prove that they are not in your name, or the loans will be counted against your DTI.

User Stats

Votes
Luis Somoza
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 6 2023, 21:10
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Andrew Swaim

As indicated above, a DSCR loan won't show on your credit report; however, the credit pull will and, more than likely, you will have to explain where that pull came from.

A DSCR loan does show up on credit if the loan is written in his name directly.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Munson
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Feb 7 2023, 06:24
Quote from @Luis Somoza:
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Andrew Swaim

That's correct, but the vast majority of DSCR loans are too companies, so fairly easy to avoid that issue.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 7 2023, 06:46
Quote from @Mark Munson:
Quote from @Luis Somoza:
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Andrew Swaim

That's correct, but the vast majority of DSCR loans are too companies, so fairly easy to avoid that issue.

If the lender reports the debt to credit bureaus or not is irrelevant. Lots of small banks and investors do not report to credit as it cost money to do so. We lend out of our balance sheet and do not report to credit. Does that mean the borrower does not have a loan? Of course not! If you have a recourse loan, then you have a loan. Period. Does not matter if it is a conventional, DSCR or any other structure. A loan is a loan.

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Luis Somoza
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 7 2023, 08:30
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Mark Munson:
Quote from @Luis Somoza:
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Andrew Swaim

If the lender reports the debt to credit bureaus or not is irrelevant. Lots of small banks and investors do not report to credit as it cost money to do so. We lend out of our balance sheet and do not report to credit. Does that mean the borrower does not have a loan? Of course not! If you have a recourse loan, then you have a loan. Period. Does not matter if it is a conventional, DSCR or any other structure. A loan is a loan.

My point was that if it's in the borrower's name, it's going to get counted against them.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 7 2023, 08:37
Quote from @Luis Somoza:
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Mark Munson:
Quote from @Luis Somoza:
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Andrew Swaim

My point was that if it's in the borrower's name, it's going to get counted against them.

@Luis Somoza  Yes, that is correct. I was responding to the post below yours. We are saying the same thing. 

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Simon W.
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Replied Feb 7 2023, 10:02
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

@Robin Simon Then the loan DOES go against his debt to income ratio. An LLC with a personal guarantee is just a loan to a person with a LLC wrapper. I am now sure why you would suggest that it would not effect his DTI. It is FRAUD to leave out a loan that you have personally guaranteed even if vesting in a LLC. Now if you said that they DSCR loan will likely not negatively effect DTI because he will likely be able to use 75% of the rent to cover the payment that would be true.

I am curious why this was suggested.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 7 2023, 10:13
Quote from @Simon W.:
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Robin Simon:

I am curious why this was suggested.

@Simon W.   Comes up over and over on this board. Baffling. 

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Juan Hasbun
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Feb 7 2023, 10:48

If the property requires taking out a mortgage, the additional debt from the mortgage payment will increase your total monthly debt obligations, which will in turn increase your DTI ratio.

Lenders use DTI ratio as a way to assess your ability to repay debt. A high DTI ratio indicates that a larger portion of your income is going towards debt repayment, and a lower DTI ratio indicates more financial stability. As a private lender, I would recommend that you keep your DTI ratio below 43% to be considered a safe borrower.

I recommend taking out a DSCR loan instead. Lenders use the DSCR as a way to measure a property's ability to generate sufficient cash flow to service its debt obligations. If a property's DSCR is less than 1, it means that the property is not generating enough income to cover its debt payments and is considered a higher risk. On the other hand, a property with a DSCR greater than 1 is considered to have a lower risk.

Good Luck!