• Denver, CO
Votes |
HELOC on Investment Property?

Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 24 2023, 08:40

Hey BP community!

Anyone know of a good credit union that could offer a HELOC on an investment property?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Mar 24 2023, 12:09

You should ask for the commercial banker at the bank that has the mortgage on the property.

If you own it outright - congratulations! Local banks that have commercial lending would likely talk to you.

The reason people have such trouble finding HELOCs is because most banks don't want to have second lien on a property. If there is a mortgage already, then you have the best chance in getting the HELOC from the same bank.

I realize that your question was about a good credit union, which I don't have. I hope this helps anyway.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Kump
  • Lender
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Mar 24 2023, 13:41

Hey Kenny, what state are you in? I can do home equity loans on investment properties depending on the state. Feel free to message me. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 14:53

@Kenny Smith- thanks ... it would help to  know where the proeprty is located ?    Try Figure ?  SpringQ?   Umpua / Coumbia  if on  west cost ?  KEY ?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 25 2023, 04:12
Quote from @Benjamin Aaker:

You should ask for the commercial banker at the bank that has the mortgage on the property.

If you own it outright - congratulations! Local banks that have commercial lending would likely talk to you.

The reason people have such trouble finding HELOCs is because most banks don't want to have second lien on a property. If there is a mortgage already, then you have the best chance in getting the HELOC from the same bank.

I realize that your question was about a good credit union, which I don't have. I hope this helps anyway.

Sprimg Equity offers fixed second mortgages on investment properties, they do not offer HELOCs though.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Johnston
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Replied Mar 25 2023, 13:42

I bet this is in the top 5 most sought after financing products out there! I've been looking for a good source who will do these on a larger geographic level for years, but so far only luck I see in most cases are local banks or credit unions. I've found Credit Unions in particular to offer strong HELOC offerings. They're out there, just start dialing all the Banks and Credit Unions in the area and start asking! Some will have commercial departments, some won't. If they don't, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have HELOCs on investment props - just gotta ask!

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Mar 25 2023, 15:36
Quote from @Kenny Smith:

Hey BP community!

Anyone know of a good credit union that could offer a HELOC on an investment property?

Thanks!

Haven't seen a HELOC, however there is a second mortgage offered on NOO properties. Minimum loan amount is $75,000, max CLTV is about 85%

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Raskin
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Mar 26 2023, 23:52

I work with lenders that do HELOCs and fixed 2nd mortgages on investment properties. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 28 2023, 17:23
Quote from @Stacy Raskin:

I work with lenders that do HELOCs and fixed 2nd mortgages on investment properties. 

Care to share?

User Stats

Votes
Adah N.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 19:19

@Alyssa Fiore

Where the rates competitive? Similar to what you would get from a credit union?

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Mar 29 2023, 12:27

@Adah N. Yes, and actually the closing costs were cheaper because I didn't have to pay for an appraisal. Also it's kind of a headache to send so many documents but this was totally digital. Also they had fixed rates so I don't have to worry about them going up.