Should I not pay my mortgage?

6 Replies

I am refinancing my house and the close of escrow date is set for Monday the 18th. Was originally supposed to be the 14th so I didn't pay my mortgage payment because of the 15 day grace period. Now that it's closing on Monday, I am getting conflicting advice.

The Closing statement (HUD) shows the payoff from my current lender good through Monday, the 18th. I have never refinanced and I have seen a lot of various opinions online, but not a for sure answer. If I don't pay tomorrow, I get late fees added but I am already getting $200 back on refinance so essentially I get dinged $50. My lender said it won't be reported to credit report since it's not 30 days late and they will be paid in full on Monday.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What would you do?

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

My lender just advised me to not pay because of a similar reason. I advised him to get a new payoff statement :)  The last thing I want is some random person having even a possibility of messing up my credit or charging extra fees!

@John Hyatt your settlement statement should reflect payoff as of the closing date. You stated in your original post that the payoff IS as of Monday the 18th, so I do not see a problem. It will be paid in full on Monday. Most likely if there is a late fee, they will just credit it back. Trying to collect a late fee on a $0 balance mortgage is probably something the lender will consider a waste of their time. You should get on the phone with them a few days after closing to make sure your account shows $0 balance in good standing. If there is a late fee tell them to credit it back because the account is paid in full. The payoff amount came from them, so I would just tell them any fees are not your fault. Worst case, and I doubt it will happen, you are stuck paying $50, but it is not going to show up on your credit report.