I'm shopping for a USDA loan

7 Replies

I'm currently looking for a USDA loan on around a $200k mortgage. Anyone out there deal with this on a regular basis? I have found a few lenders but I'm shopping around the rest of this week and ready to sign paperwork next week.

@Derek E. Lots of lenders do these. The SFR loans are for owner occupied only. MFRs are for NON-owner occupied.

Minimum credit score is 620, though some lenders want a slightly higher score than USDA requires, which is called an "overlay".  The other key feature is $0 down payment.  We normally figure $6K for closing costs here in MA.

The only risk to these I know of is that sellers might decline your offer because you have very little skin in the game.  

They or their agents fear - with good reason - that if you found a much better home tomorrow, you could walk away and lose almost nothing.

I always recommend that my buyer clients put down the largest deposit they can to minimize the seller's worry.

Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson :

@Derek E. Lots of lenders do these. The SFR loans are for owner occupied only. MFRs are for NON-owner occupied.

Minimum credit score is 620, though some lenders want a slightly higher score than USDA requires, which is called an "overlay".  The other key feature is $0 down payment.  We normally figure $6K for closing costs here in MA.

The only risk to these I know of is that sellers might decline your offer because you have very little skin in the game.  

They or their agents fear - with good reason - that if you found a much better home tomorrow, you could walk away and lose almost nothing.

I always recommend that my buyer clients put down the largest deposit they can to minimize the seller's worry.

Thank you for all of the advice. We are looking at a SFH and it will be owner occupied. The house has been on the market a long time (been asking way to much for our current local market) They just came down to a realistic price that we can negotiate with. Our market isn't hot, so I'm sure the sellers are just happy to have someone interested at this point lol.

I have already checked that our property meets the eligibility requirements and our income also meets the requirements. Just not sure if there is something else that I am missing.

@Derek E.  It sounds like you should be in the driver's seat then.

You might consider working with a strong real estate agent on the purchase.  We tend to be pretty good negotiators.

If not, don't forget to make your offer with both a home inspection and financing contingency.  

You should also include septic inspection and if a new system is required, approval of the new design.  That way if there's a 4 foot high mound in front of the bay window, you can still get out of the deal.

Also remember lead paint, etc.  These are the places where a good agent can help.

@Derek E.  It sounds like you should be in the driver's seat then.

You might consider working with a strong real estate agent on the purchase.  We tend to be pretty good negotiators.

If not, don't forget to make your offer with both a home inspection and financing contingency.  

You should also include septic inspection and if a new system is required, approval of the new design.  That way if there's a 4 foot high mound in front of the bay window, you can still get out of the deal.

Also remember lead paint, etc.  These are the places where a good agent can help.

Duly noted. I am going through a local Broker. We live in a Tri-State area. The agent we normally use is not licensed in this state, but she did recommend her Broker (duh right?)

I will def be sure to put home inspection and financing contingency in there. Any other suggestions or things I should ask our Broker? I'm definitely wanting someone who is a good negotiator. I'm a firm believer that most of your profit/equity, etc is bought on the front end through negotiations as opposed to the sale on the back end lol.

@Derek E.  Too many variables to know what else should be negotiated.

I would also be sure to work with a full-time agent.  "Part Time Patty" is the bane of our business.

@Derek E.  Too many variables to know what else should be negotiated.

I would also be sure to work with a full-time agent.  "Part Time Patty" is the bane of our business.

So I should find an actual agent who works for the broker as opposed to using the actual broker? Can you explain why? I might be to far along to make a switch. The broker has already set us up to officially view the place on Friday.

@Derek E. The broker should be fine.  I'm assuming that he knows his or her stuff.

I would advise against using an agent who isn't full time, as they tend to have less experience and some treat real estate as more of a hobby than a profession.

Someone who is the actual broker for an agency is unlikely to fall into that category.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.