Where should I get a loan when going out of state?

2 Replies

Hello all!!! I am excited to be here as this is my first post and I am new to the Bigger Pockets community. I am wondering what is the best strategy when buying property out of state when it comes to getting loans? Would it be better to get a loan from a local bank where I live or a bank near the property I plan on purchasing? What are the pros and cons of each? How do you feel about the online lenders vs banks? What advise can you provide from personal experience? I appreciate all answers and information provided. I thank you all in advance for reading my post and to those who respond. Walt

Go with someone within the state where the real estate is. Differences in norms within any given state are usually pretty minimal, but between states is pretty large. The big national lenders have reputations for screwing up all the state-specific stuff on a pretty routine basis, which in addition to potentially screwing up your transaction, can actually harm the chances of your offer getting accepted to begin with.