Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Harman N.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Cash-Out Refi & HELOC on the Same Property (does order matter?)

Harman N.
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 3 2019, 07:42

Hi all,

When taking out a cash-out refi and HELOC on the same property, does the order in which you take them out matter? I'd like to get a cash-out refi on my primary residence given mortgage rates continue to be low, and a 90 LTV HELOC on the same property to be able to use as-needed for investments. I assume since the HELOC is in 2nd lien position it would be better to get the cash-out refi first since that would affect the LTV calculations for the HELOC. Otherwise it might cause some headaches with the HELOC lender..

User Stats

Votes
Richard Sherman
  • Salem, OR
Votes |
  • Salem, OR
Replied Aug 3 2019, 08:27

You will most likely need to do the refi first then HELOC second. If you do it the other way around the HELOC ends up being in 1st position so it would probably be more of a hassle to move them to 2nd, or the new lender might make you pay it off and do it all over again.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Defngin
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Aug 3 2019, 09:29

@Harman N. you have the right idea. Refi cash out first. Then, after your 1st has funded. 

Vellum Mortgage, Inc Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 3 2019, 12:59

@Harman N.

How will you have enough equity left in the deal for a HELOC to be worth it if you cash out refi first?

User Stats

Votes
Mike McCarthy
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 3 2019, 13:02

Have you considered just a larger HELOC? The interest rate might not be quite as attractive, but closing costs are MUCH less and you'll only be paying interest on the money you're using.

Of course, it depends on how you're planning on using the cash... but I'd probably just do a HELOC, especially with interest rates planned to stay low for a while.

User Stats

Votes
Harman N.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 3 2019, 14:19

@Max T. - I have about $700-800K equity in the property, and the cash-out refi would be for $250K or so

@Mike McCarthy - that would be an option for sure. But it's hard(er) to get HELOC for ~$500K. And also I have $250K of capex for additions to the same property so would be good to get that on a fixed rate, 30 year term, and tap the rest of the equity on a revolving basis for short-term BRRRRs on other properties.

Thanks all for the feedback!