Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes

Questions reguarding VA mortgages.

Posted Nov 16 2019, 23:15

Hello BiggePockets forums!

I have been studying the topic of real-estate for almost a year and a half; while I don't own any property currently, I do feel I have a general idea about the world of real-estate, and the direction I want to go.

I am very seriously considering enlisting in the military as a reservist, and I have some questions regarding VA mortgages.

I have heard that the VA is picky when it comes to the types of homes it allows to be purchases; and even if it is within the 4 unit maximum they don't always approve the mortgage. Knowing that the VA can be picky; I have a few questions, and I hope someone could be kind enough to help me become better informed.

How long does the owner have to occupy the property before they can move to another property? I know that with a standard FHA loan the owner/occupier only has to live there for one year, but does the same apply to a VA loan?

After the stipulated amount of time lived in the property, and I want to move so I can expand my portfolio. How does the initial loan become affected? Can I take out secondary VA loan, or do I have to find another lender to over the loan?

Any answers are appreciated!  Thank you!

Loading replies...