Votes
Ruth P.
  • Maine
Votes |
$12,000 for plumbing work; financing options

Ruth P.
  • Maine
Posted Jan 19 2022, 09:06

Hi BiggerPockets:  Can anyone tell me if $12K is a decent deal for the following?:

"Remove house trap and replace sewer main from house trap end to street.  Repave driveway and replace concrete floor removed for new sewer line in basement.  Replace two (2) existing 1/" valves and replace existing failed thermal expansion tank with one (1) new Amtrol ST12 thermal expansion tank.  All materials and labor to complete installation included."

Also, the financing rate would be 7.99% - 12.99% over 10 years with a payment between $145-$178 per month.  Is that a decent rate or should I try getting a personal loan from some place like Lending Tree?  My credit is good.  Or just pay in full (which I could do if I wanted to)?

Thanks for your help!  I appreciate the BiggerPockets community!

User Stats

Votes
John Leake
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Normal, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Normal, IL
Replied Jan 19 2022, 09:13

I would be interested in using equity from the property for this repair expense, If you have it available. A loan secured by the property should be lower than the rate they are offering. You may be able refinance your entire loan to a lower rate depending on when you put financing in place originally. If that isn't appealing I would be tempted to pay out of pocket unless you have an investment you can spend the same money and get a better return on your money.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 19 2022, 09:20
Quote from @Ruth P.:

Hi BiggerPockets:  Can anyone tell me if $12K is a decent deal for the following?:

"Remove house trap and replace sewer main from house trap end to street.  Repave driveway and replace concrete floor removed for new sewer line in basement.  Replace two (2) existing 1/" valves and replace existing failed thermal expansion tank with one (1) new Amtrol ST12 thermal expansion tank.  All materials and labor to complete installation included."

Also, the financing rate would be 7.99% - 12.99% over 10 years with a payment between $145-$178 per month.  Is that a decent rate or should I try getting a personal loan from some place like Lending Tree?  My credit is good.  Or just pay in full (which I could do if I wanted to)?

Thanks for your help!  I appreciate the BiggerPockets community!

For the digging and repair work involved that may be about right, but get a second quote. What is the nature of the problem? There may be an option to line the drain instead of digging, which could be half the cost. Just depends on if the pipe is fully collapsed or open enough to be lined. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tom S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Replied Jan 19 2022, 15:39

@Ruth P. As posted above, if your credit is good, use a HELOC or just put it on a 0% credit card and pay if off during the intro offer (usually 12-18 months). Even better if you use an airline miles or cash back card.

And yes, the price seems reasonable but getting another quote would be smart.

User Stats

Votes
Ruth P.
  • Maine
Votes |
  • Maine
Replied Jan 23 2022, 09:43

Thank you all!  You are very helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Ruth P.
  • Maine
Votes |
  • Maine
Replied Jan 23 2022, 09:50

I am getting the work done through a big company that gives a one year guarantee and I feel I can trust them.  I am in an area where it is extremely hard to get another quote, and if I did, I would have to pay the pricey cost for the camera going through the sewer line.  Also, the line can not be just lined, a new line does actually have to be dug because there is a dent in the line and it does not go "downhill", causing a flood in the part where it is higher than it should be.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 23 2022, 09:54

You didn't mention how many feet the run is, but for an average house-to-street run that actually sounds like a great price! Does that include permits?

User Stats

Votes
Dashawn Francis
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 24 2022, 01:13

Sounds good looks like you have everything under control @Ruth P. Please let me know I am able to help you in anyway! Many funding options. Otherwise, all the best!😃

User Stats

Votes
Ruth P.
  • Maine
Votes |
  • Maine
Replied Jan 25 2022, 13:41

I don't know how many feet, but our driveway can fit about three cars in it.  It includes permits, materials and everything.  Thanks for your input.