Ryan I.
  • Inspector
Votes |
Short Term Funding For Investment Project

Ryan I.
  • Inspector
Posted May 25 2022, 07:53

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding best ways to acquire short term (approximately 24 months) capital for real estate development projects I have an opportunity to be a part of. 

Long story short, I am a structural engineer who inspects/consults on existing residential and commercial structures. Since starting at the company, the partners my firm have started development and construction companies (one services the other) which buy and develops/builds/renovates/remodels single family and small multi family residential properties. The partners have allowed myself and a couple other partners to invest as a perk for our loyalty and value to the engineering firm. They did not need our capital, so I appreciated the opportunity to essentially be a silent partner in the investments. The first two investments have gone very well as I have been able to essentially double my modest investment on both projects in just a 7-12 month window. The other projects the partners have completed have all gone very well. They are experienced and adept at identifying quality investment/development opportunities.

Now that the development projects are ramping up, the partners of my firm have decided to formalize the investment fund for select employees into essentially an evergreen type fund. Given the success of the initial projects, I am looking for ways to increase my investment size for the next investment period. I have looked into various types of loans, but haven't quite been able figure out what the best options are for my scenario. I have no personal debt outside of my mortgage on my primary residence (starter home), in which I have roughly 200K in equity. 

The formalized fund requires a 24 month "lock up" period of any funds invested, so I am looking for a way to acquire some capital for roughly that time frame to increase my investment size and grow my capital more quickly. I would plan to recoup the amount of that initial investment (plus any applicable interest) following the 24 month period to repay any amount borrowed, while reinvesting the profits within the fund. 

I am looking for any advice in this matter regarding types of funding which I may not have considered, or advice on what type of loan/borrowing would work best in this scenario. If my plan sounds like a silly idea, feel free let me know why! 

Thanks 

RI

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Beardt
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied May 25 2022, 09:52
Quote from @Ryan I.:

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding best ways to acquire short term (approximately 24 months) capital for real estate development projects I have an opportunity to be a part of. 

Long story short, I am a structural engineer who inspects/consults on existing residential and commercial structures. Since starting at the company, the partners my firm have started development and construction companies (one services the other) which buy and develops/builds/renovates/remodels single family and small multi family residential properties. The partners have allowed myself and a couple other partners to invest as a perk for our loyalty and value to the engineering firm. They did not need our capital, so I appreciated the opportunity to essentially be a silent partner in the investments. The first two investments have gone very well as I have been able to essentially double my modest investment on both projects in just a 7-12 month window. The other projects the partners have completed have all gone very well. They are experienced and adept at identifying quality investment/development opportunities.

Now that the development projects are ramping up, the partners of my firm have decided to formalize the investment fund for select employees into essentially an evergreen type fund. Given the success of the initial projects, I am looking for ways to increase my investment size for the next investment period. I have looked into various types of loans, but haven't quite been able figure out what the best options are for my scenario. I have no personal debt outside of my mortgage on my primary residence (starter home), in which I have roughly 200K in equity. 

The formalized fund requires a 24 month "lock up" period of any funds invested, so I am looking for a way to acquire some capital for roughly that time frame to increase my investment size and grow my capital more quickly. I would plan to recoup the amount of that initial investment (plus any applicable interest) following the 24 month period to repay any amount borrowed, while reinvesting the profits within the fund. 

I am looking for any advice in this matter regarding types of funding which I may not have considered, or advice on what type of loan/borrowing would work best in this scenario. If my plan sounds like a silly idea, feel free let me know why! 

Thanks 

RI

Hi Ryan,

From reading your post, it sounds like you are trying to access capital in order to reinvest it in the fund to therefore increase your wealth quite substantially. Am I correct in that aspect? If so, there are a few different options you have in your arsenal. You can do a cash out refinance of your property, pull out quite a bit of equity, and use that equity to reinvest in the fund. Doing so, however, will increase your current interest rate (I'm assuming your current rate is a lot lower than what conventional rates are at the moment), increase your loan balance, thereby increasing your monthly payment. You'll have to run the #'s with local lenders in your area to see what you can qualify for and what you're willing to do, but if it makes sense for you, go for it! Another option is getting a HELOC on your current primary residence. You won't be able to tap into as much equity as a cashout refinance, but you can still take some out and pay interest only on the amount that you use. Either options seem to fit your scenario in my opinion, you'll just have to contact local lenders, run the #'s and see which option(s) best fit your comfort level. All in all, both options will give you the opportunity/capital needed to reinvest in that fund. Hope this helps out in some way. Wishing you the best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
William Sing
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied May 25 2022, 09:59

Hey there! Congrats on such a great opportunity. 

A HELOC might be a good option to pull out the capital. You will occur the fees on it, but depending on the estimated returns might be a good option. Check out Key Bank since they have a great option for that.

Raising private money (friends and family) might be a good second option as well. There is a BiggerPockets book on this that would be good to check out. 

Hope that helps!

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Ryan I.
  • Inspector
Votes |
  • Inspector
Replied May 25 2022, 10:21
Quote from @Brandon Beardt:
Quote from @Ryan I.:

Hi All,

Thanks 

RI

Hi Ryan,

From reading your post, it sounds like you are trying to access capital in order to reinvest it in the fund to therefore increase your wealth quite substantially. Am I correct in that aspect? If so, there are a few different options you have in your arsenal. You can do a cash out refinance of your property, pull out quite a bit of equity, and use that equity to reinvest in the fund. Doing so, however, will increase your current interest rate (I'm assuming your current rate is a lot lower than what conventional rates are at the moment), increase your loan balance, thereby increasing your monthly payment. You'll have to run the #'s with local lenders in your area to see what you can qualify for and what you're willing to do, but if it makes sense for you, go for it! Another option is getting a HELOC on your current primary residence. You won't be able to tap into as much equity as a cashout refinance, but you can still take some out and pay interest only on the amount that you use. Either options seem to fit your scenario in my opinion, you'll just have to contact local lenders, run the #'s and see which option(s) best fit your comfort level. All in all, both options will give you the opportunity/capital needed to reinvest in that fund. Hope this helps out in some way. Wishing you the best of luck!

Very much appreciate the advice Brandon. I had done some research on those options, and am thinking a HELOC would be the better option for me between the two. I would prefer not to refinance, as I refinanced to lower rate a couple years ago. Thanks again!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan I.
  • Inspector
Votes |
  • Inspector
Replied May 25 2022, 10:54
Quote from @William Sing:

Hey there! Congrats on such a great opportunity. 

A HELOC might be a good option to pull out the capital. You will occur the fees on it, but depending on the estimated returns might be a good option. Check out Key Bank since they have a great option for that.

Raising private money (friends and family) might be a good second option as well. There is a BiggerPockets book on this that would be good to check out. 

Hope that helps!

William, 

Thank you very much for the advice. I think a HELOC may make the most sense for my situation here. I will look into the BiggerPockets book as well!