User Stats

Votes
Erin Lytwyn
Votes |
Advise needed! Heloc vs conventional loan

Erin Lytwyn
Posted May 26 2022, 07:03

Hello all,

We are looking to purchase an investment property.

We are wondering what the best method of financing is so I thought I would crowdsource some info:

Conventional: We wont need the loan until October as it is a new build still being finished, but we are being quoted around 7% for an investment property with 20% down.
Heloc: We have enough equity in our primary to take out 75% of what we would need for our investment property at 4%ish, then we could either 1) put down rest of cash to buy outright 2) look for financing for the rest.

Curious as we are new to the game which approach seasoned vets would advise?

User Stats

Votes
Dean V.
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 26 2022, 12:56

Hey Erin!

I'll start with the typical "it depends" - what are your goals with the investment property (cash-flow in the short term, long-term appreciation, how quickly are you looking to buy additional investment properties, etc.)?

My personal attitude is generally to put as little of my own money into investment properties as I can so I can have more cash available to scale more quickly and/or put into other investment opportunities (and of course for things like emergency funds, reserves, etc. depending on your situation and if you already have these things or other ways of reducing risk).
As long as it can pay for itself (including reserves), as little down as possible is my ideal strategy since I don't really care as much about cashflow in the short term.

Obviously putting more money down will lower your monthly payments and increase your cashflow on the property, especially when having the opportunity to borrow the rest at a lower rate with the HELOC (also, 7% seems a little high, have you talked to multiple lenders?).

My two questions would be:
1) Does the investment property meet your goals/criteria (adequate cashflow, ROI, etc. whatever is important to you) with the 7% interest/20% down loan?
2) If so, maybe stick with the 7%/20% loan and look for other investment opportunities that you could put that HELOC to use on!
2.5)  If not, either consider using the HELOC to get it there as you were thinking, or maybe keep searching to see if there are better investment properties out there instead that better meet your goals using the conventional financing.

Not sure what your situation looks like, but have you looked into second home/"vacation home" loans?  Due to a recent change, your interest rate will likely be similar that of an investment property, but you should be able to put as little as 10% down.

Cheers,
Dean

User Stats

Votes
Michael Porche
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 29 2022, 15:22

@Erin Lytwyn when it comes to lending, I have found the more lenders you talk to, the better. A lot of people will just settle with one and just get the products they offer. However, I have found the more people you talk to as far as lenders the better. Then you know what your options are and what you can do

• Real Estate Agent Idaho (#SP51160)

RY Capital Logo
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Erin Lytwyn
Votes |
Replied May 31 2022, 12:48

Thank you both so much! 

User Stats

Votes
Hudson Magee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Mississippi
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Mississippi
Replied May 31 2022, 12:52

Hey Erin! Something I have had success with recently is doing a bank loan for investment properties. Talk to a few local banks in town and see if you can get one with your current equity and any other collateral that could be used. 

I went this route because they were able to give me a 4.25% rate on a 20 year loan. The bank funded 100% of the purchase price through the loan so I put no money down. I plan to either keep this loan going or just refinance once rates drop back down in a few years. But with this type of loan I was able to purchase two properties for zero down, both of which are cash flowing because of the better rate that an in bank loan can offer. 

Best of luck!!