• Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Cash Out Refi or Credit Union HELOC

Matthew K.
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jul 2 2022, 12:05

Hey Team, I have a 2nd in PA with approximately $275K in equity. I am approved for a 80% LTV HELOC, rate moved from 4% to 4.75% on 7/1 and will continue to move with the fed. I am also approved for a 75% LTV cash out refi at 5.875%.

I intend to use the proceeds to invest these funds in the Charlotte market, likely 3 to 4 unit multi's. Not much difference in cash availability between the 2 products. Obvious rate stability in the cash out refi has me leaning that direction. Only reason I am considering the HELOC is the great rate, maintaining current 4.25% on 15 year conventional with 11 years left.

Please provide me perspective that I am overlooking or should be considering.  What is the best way to compare these two options?

Target is to cash flow $15k monthly in the next 7 years.  

Much appreciated,

Matt

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Jul 2 2022, 14:54

What's the cap on the multi as well as the max adjustment per period @Matthew K.?

Also, you mentioned your target properties are in Charlotte, but what is the method of acquisition? On-market or do you plan to buy wholesale and renovate?

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574

User Stats

Votes
Matthew K.
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 2 2022, 16:15

I am buying MLS properties unless I get lucky and stumble on something off market. Nothing identified at this point. I am monitoring listings daily and networking, no targeted marketing currently underway. I am at the appraisal step on the 2nd home in PA which will essentially provide the funding for the NC investments.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jack Delligatti
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 3 2022, 06:50

Hey Matthew! Broadening your method of acquisition would be a great way to hit your cash flow projections. Have you considered increasing your exposure to off-market properties? 

User Stats

Votes
Navid A.
  • Investor
  • San Rafael, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Rafael, CA
Replied Jul 3 2022, 07:23

I also have a HELOC that was 3.75% and is 4.5% now. I am assuming it's only going to go higher but not sure how fast! I understand there are other cash out refi options like 7/1 and 10/1 arms with descent rates. I have a phone apt next week with BOA to find out more about the rates.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew K.
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 28 2022, 10:13

Hey Jack. You inquired around me looking off market in a post. I would like to look off market as well. Let me know what you are thinking.

Thanks,

Matt

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 10:27

An additional consideration is what the blended rate on your PA home woudl be with a refi, and compare that to the cost of the HELOC. For example if you currently owe 275K at 4.25% and you cash out 275K at 5.875% your real comparison is

550K*5.875% = (275K*4.25%) + ([email protected]%)

So you are better off with a Heloc at up to 7.5% compared to the cashout option. The other consideration is total fee amount for each option, and how often your rate can move.