• Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
DSCR ( Debt Service Coverage Ratio ) - Investor Loan

Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Posted Jul 26 2022, 13:22

As an investor and lender, I see that a lot of people are not familiar with DSCR loan. Its a great program, specially self-employed people, which often find it difficult to get qualified for a mortgage. So I decided to make a short post about this program. Please feel free to add any extra information or tips you might have.

DSCR loans were designed for real estate investor in mind, which often buys in LLCs. Often self-employed people have a hard time getting conventional finance due to tax returns being difficult to decipher — this product does not require a tax return review. For income verification, DSCR loan underwriting focuses on the rental income (in-place or potential) that the property can produce. After allocations for property taxes and insurance, the underwriter calculates a Debt Service Coverage Ratio for the property, which is a key factor in the product's pricing. To determine value and rent, DSCR lenders require a full interior 1004 form appraisal, as well as Single-Family Comparable Rent Schedule. The loan product is generally full recourse to the members of the LLC that own the property, and of course their FICO is also a key factor in the product's pricing. Your score can be as low as 620, but you will be paying a higher prince and rate so keep that in mind.

The minimum DSCR ratio can go as low as 0.75x

So here is the Formula for you to see if it works for you:

DSCR
= NOI / by Annual Debt Payments (AKA "Debt Service" or just "Debt Payments")

Net Operation Income (NOI) = Annual net income + depreciation + interest expenses + amortization and other non-cash items

Debt Service:

Add up one year’s worth of principal repayment + interest payments + lease payments

User Stats

Votes
Madeline Malinovsky
  • Lender
  • TX CA AZ MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • TX CA AZ MA
Replied Jul 26 2022, 14:05

I'd add that you can find lenders that do not require a debt-service ratio (ie: they will go under .75), however they often require a higher down payment and the interest rate will be a bit higher as well. The 0.75 - 1.00 range is pretty good standard. 

Also, the funds to purchase must come from the person(s) on the loan. They cannot be gifted! I've seen this come up all too often. 

User Stats

Votes
Alexandra Rolon
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 18:35

Question. I am looking at dscr for commercial property, due to SBA allowing me to do 10% down instead of 25% that's what I'm leaning towards, I'm also using 1.35 bc is SBA. But I'm having a hard time finding property that meets thus simple requirement. Any idea or recommendations of what else I should keep in mind when looking at commercial properties?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 15:01
Quote from @Alexandra Rolon:

Question. I am looking at dscr for commercial property, due to SBA allowing me to do 10% down instead of 25% that's what I'm leaning towards, I'm also using 1.35 bc is SBA. But I'm having a hard time finding property that meets thus simple requirement. Any idea or recommendations of what else I should keep in mind when looking at commercial properties?

Hi Alexandra,

I'm not sure about the guidelines on commercial properties. I only do residential, you would have to ask a commercial lender. Hopefully, a commercial lender from BP can answer your question.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Pflueger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Votes |
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Replied Aug 23 2022, 20:20

@Vinnie Da silva

Are there any debt service loans that do not require a personal guarantor? I would like to utilizze one of these loans for a short term rental property but I do not want to personally guarantee the debt. If the property has 70% or lower LTV does that make a difference?

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Aug 28 2022, 12:00
@Jonathan Pflueger

So on DSCR loans the Underwriter will use the monthly income generated by the property as collateral, so it wont require personal guarantee. As long as the income generated by the property covers PITI is enough to qualify and of course the property needs to pass appraisal inspection. Other than that the terms are similar to a conventional loan. You will need 20% DP + 2.5 - 3% closing cost. Also, the rates will be higher since its an investment property, but you can always refinance later.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Pflueger
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Votes |
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Replied Sep 2 2022, 15:35

@Vinnie Da silva

Interesting. Do you know anyone who lends in CA that could do a debt service loan without a personal guarantee of any kind?

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 13:10

Absolutely, I can refer you to one of my team member licensed in CA. You can send me a DM and I can get you in contact with them.

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 13:11

@Jonathan Pflueger

Absolutely, I can refer you to one of my team member licensed in CA. You can send me a DM and I can get you in contact with them.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Worthley
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Waterloo, IA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Waterloo, IA
Replied Sep 19 2022, 18:52

Looking for DSCR loan in Iowa - @Vinnie Da silva can you hook me up? 

User Stats

Votes
Albert Bui
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA
Replied Apr 17 2023, 08:25
Quote from @Alexandra Rolon:

Its important to distinguish between the gross income DSCR the OP is posting about and your SBA 1.35x DSCR, thats a true DSCR commercial calculation based on property annual gross income - annual operating expenses = net operating income (NOI) annual / debt service annual payment = needs to be 1.35X or higher to qualify. The Gross income DSCR products are based off of a pure gross income/leases over the monthly PITIA or prin/int/taxes/insurance/assessments (not true operating expenses). Gross income DSCr products lend so long as your income is .75-1.00x of your PITIA. The higher the DSCR ratio the better the terms/pricing.

If you dont meet this form of commercial DSCR you'll have to lower your loan amount on the purchase (IE you gotta bring in more equity), and on a refinance this means you may need to bring in cash to pay down your loan to an acceptable LTV whereby the cashflow meets the 1.35X or better.

So what can an investor do ? You can raise rents, secure a new commercial lease, or reduce operating expenses to improve your NOI calculation and justify it to your commercial underwriter such that your formula of NOI / debt service is now 1.35X or higher.

@Matthew Kwan@Carlos Valencia

• Lender Georgia (#1780583), Oregon (#1780583), Virginia (#1780583), Florida (#1780583), Oklahoma (#1780583), Colorado (#1780583), Washington (#1780583), California (#1780583), Texas (#1780583), Idaho (#1780583), and Tennessee (#1780583)

• Avenue One Capital Inc
Avenue One Capital Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2023, 11:25
Quote from @Jonathan Pflueger:

@Vinnie Da silva

Interesting. Do you know anyone who lends in CA that could do a debt service loan without a personal guarantee of any kind?

Hey guys, any luck finding a lender that doesn't require a personal guarantor for investing in short term rentals? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2023, 13:53
Hello Vinnie, the only time I've heard the use of debt service is when the property is greater then 5 units. A DSCR is arrived at after subtracting PITI & a realistic operating expense not a percentage. The income divided into the net must equal say $1.25 in come to $1.00 in debt.

User Stats

Votes
Payton Haynes
  • Oahu hawaii
Votes |
  • Oahu hawaii
Replied May 28 2023, 20:03

@Vinnie Da silva

I’m intrigued as well I’m in the military stationed in Hawaii right now, but I found a property in the Houston area that has good returns. Just needing to see how to get help with the financing portion of it. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied May 30 2023, 13:01
Quote from @Enrique Enrique:
Hello Vinnie, the only time I've heard the use of debt service is when the property is greater then 5 units. A DSCR is arrived at after subtracting PITI & a realistic operating expense not a percentage. The income divided into the net must equal say $1.25 in come to $1.00 in debt.

Not to get into an argument but that's not true. Any time I'm buying a rental property, my bank is going to look at the DSCR. I just bought a triplex next to some properties of mine (just so I could have the extra land) and my bank financed based on 70% of the appraised value, or a 1.25x DSCR -- whichever was less. It could be a single family or a triplex.

The main difference you see between 4 and 5 units is the type of financing.  It's easier to get vanilla Freddie 'quicken loans' type financing on 1-4 family where 5+ will normally require a local bank or lender who holds the debt (vs. just originating the loan and selling it off)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 2 2023, 12:29
Thank you for your comment. From personal experience the verbiage debt service was in the multifamily transaction and 75% of rental income was use for 1 -4 units.

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Jun 16 2023, 14:23
Quote from @Payton Haynes:

@Vinnie Da silva

Hey Payton, Just look for a loan officer in Houston that offers DSCR loan they will be able to help you. They will be able to run the numbers for you.

I’m intrigued as well I’m in the military stationed in Hawaii right now, but I found a property in the Houston area that has good returns. Just needing to see how to get help with the financing portion of it. Thank you