Votes
Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
So close to obtaining a perfect property

Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Aug 4 2022, 06:13

Hi so I’m looking to purchase my first long term property. a townhouse in Wesley chapel fl.

Property 300k

Down payment 20%= 60k

Liquid cash 10%= 30k

801 credit score

Low debt to income ratio and and combined salary of 200k w wife

can a bank make an exception on this 20% requirement if I’m qualified in credit score, debt to income, and capable of paying for property if ever vacant?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Grabau
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:24

There are some lenders that will go to 85% LTV for income properties, but I would expect worse terms. If you buy it as a vacation home on a conventional loan you can get a 10% down loan, but you will have to be able to support this with your DTI. You might have better results buying a 5% down primary in Phoenix and then using your current residence as an airbnb or long term rental. Your PMI will be very low too thanks to your 801 credit score.

User Stats

Votes
Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:41

I definitely don’t want to leave my home and use it as a rental. A vacation home also requires that I live in the property at some point throughout the year

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:53

If your debt to income can support it, you can put as little as 15% down on a non-owner occupied property. The pricing will be better if you put down more, but we do the 15% down NOO often for folks.

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Aug 4 2022, 07:32

Even with the current market, if you have a low DTI and a very high FICO I feel like you would be able to find a conventional loan that will give you 85% LTV.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Velez
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Aug 4 2022, 09:05

@Louis Louisius

The second home route would be the only way to stay ay 10% down.  As you mentioned, you would need to occupy this property at least 14 days out of the year. Wesley chapel is not too far from the water so perhaps you can make it a little vacation!

Either way, you need to be working with an investor friendly agent if you are purchasing out of state. I would recommend you chat with @Josh Green. He has helped several out of state investors purchase properties in the around Tampa area.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Green
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Replied Aug 4 2022, 09:14
Quote from @Louis Louisius:

I definitely don’t want to leave my home and use it as a rental. A vacation home also requires that I live in the property at some point throughout the year

Hey Louis, what's the goal with the property? I'd be happy to look at the numbers you're estimating and see if we can't find something better? What's the HOA's stand on using it as a rental? I deal with a lot of out-of-state investors as @Nick Velez just mentioned and I can't say I'm not skeptical at buying a townhouse in Wesley Chapel as an investor but I am open to being corrected!

User Stats

Votes
Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 30 2022, 16:49
Quote from @Josh Green:

sorry for the delayed response. The goal is to buy and hold and go from there to start generating cash flow. i looked into trying to use a heloc to obtain but the numbers don't support interest only payments or a pay down with that route as rents are a max $2,400 on townhomes around the 35545 area. not sure about the HOA rules either but i'm assuming it would be ok to rent out your property. also I'm in wesley chapel

Hey Louis, what's the goal with the property? I'd be happy to look at the numbers you're estimating and see if we can't find something better? What's the HOA's stand on using it as a rental? I deal with a lot of out-of-state investors as @Nick Velez just mentioned and I can't say I'm not skeptical at buying a townhouse in Wesley Chapel as an investor but I am open to being corrected!

User Stats

Votes
Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 30 2022, 16:52
Quote from @Nick Velez:

@Louis Louisius

The second home route would be the only way to stay ay 10% down.  As you mentioned, you would need to occupy this property at least 14 days out of the year. Wesley chapel is not too far from the water so perhaps you can make it a little vacation!

Either way, you need to be working with an investor friendly agent if you are purchasing out of state. I would recommend you chat with @Josh Green. He has helped several out of state investors purchase properties in the around Tampa area.

the vacation home route would require i have it vacant and not cash flowing at least one month out of the year. 11 month rentals may not bode well when trying to attract long term renters

User Stats

Votes
Nick Velez
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Aug 30 2022, 16:55

@Louis Louisius

You can't have the intention of renting it out long term with a second home so it sounds like that won't work for you. You can also do 15% down on single unit investment properties so that would be your next best option! 

User Stats

Votes
Louis Louisius
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 30 2022, 17:10
Quote from @Nick Velez:

@Louis Louisius

You can't have the intention of renting it out long term with a second home so it sounds like that won't work for you. You can also do 15% down on single unit investment properties so that would be your next best option! 

whats that loan option called?

User Stats

Votes
Nick Velez
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Aug 30 2022, 17:11

@Louis Louisius

It is just a 15% down conventional investment loan.  Not all banks will offer it but it is a standard loan product that we often use. Feel free to message me any specific questions!

User Stats

Votes
Yvette Fuertes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wesley Chapel, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wesley Chapel, FL
Replied Sep 2 2022, 08:37

Hi so I’m looking to purchase my first long term property. a townhouse in Wesley chapel fl.

Property 300k

Down payment 20%= 60k

Liquid cash 10%= 30k

801 credit score

Low debt to income ratio and and combined salary of 200k w wife

can a bank make an exception on this 20% requirement if I’m qualified in credit score, debt to income, and capable of paying for property if ever vacant?

Hi Louis, I'm based out of Wesley Chapel, Florida and if you are looking to invest in this area, there are may opportunities for new construction townhomes that allow investors - 20% down.  If you need any help with the research let me know, I'm happy to assist.