Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Aaron McCracken
Votes |
HELOC on Investment Property

Aaron McCracken
Posted Sep 27 2022, 05:40

Recently started looking to do a HELOC on an investment property I own that I has a large amount of equity. I found out quickly that the lenders I have used in the past did not offer investment property HELOC's. Can anyone recommend a lender that offers lines of credit like this? I know I can refinance the property and pull out cash, but was hoping to find A line of credit so I can pull and put back cash as needed on fix and flips.

Thanks, Aaron

User Stats

Votes
Alex Russell
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Sep 27 2022, 13:00

Hey there @Aaron McCracken,

iThink Financial is who I usually recommend to my clients. 

https://www.ithinkfi.org/

I hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 27 2022, 15:47

@Aaron McCracken I see you have one suggestion above already.  Usually when I field this answer out in the general forums it's about finding this in ANY state so I'll answer it for Texas and for everyone else just in case it get's researched.

1. Texas - Cash out loans of any type are pretty challenging here in Texas. Because of this many lenders won't do these loans at all. Finding a lender that does investment property "Lines of Credit" is hard in any state...but in Texas it's even harder. I know 3 that write them locally in DFW...and only one of those will do it state wide. But am certainly willing to share any information if you just PM me. No problem.

2. For everyone else....a small, local lender will be your HIGHEST probability of success when trying to find "Line of Credit" lenders on investment properties. The unfortunate thing here is that investment properties foreclose at a higher rate than primary homes so many banks just don't want the exposure to this. But it is 100% possible to find but you have to put in the time or at least know someone that ALREADY has the connection. Here's my 2 suggestions:

1. Visit your local REI groups. There are many groups that meet across the country. Some post here on the Bigger Pockets Marketplace. Many post on meetup.com. Even facebook will have some. Networking is always a great practice and you never know who you might meet there and what good information they have to share. Would certainly recommend visiting if one is close to you.
  2. Calling - and then there's this option. Which is what I had to do. I had to call about 200 lenders (no exaggeration) to learn of 4 lenders who did this and I have some tips. First, when calling banks target the smallest most community based banks you can first. If you have never heard of them, and they have one location - that's a good candidate. No big, national, publicly traded banks will do this loan type. Second, try to ask for "LINES OF CREDIT" instead of "HELOC". I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs but some banks write HELOCs in their residential department....which won't write Investment Properties. And that residential department will often not speak to the commercial department. So they'll just say "sorry, we don't do it"....not even knowing that they really do! So if you ask for a "line of credit on an investment property" that should get you to the COMMERCIAL division. That's the section of the bank we want. Now, most of these smaller banks may only have 12 employees or so. So don't get frustrated if they don't return your call or aren't in the office. Just call back and be friendly. Maybe play dumb a little "I don't know if I'm in the right place..." "I'm sorry to disturb you, you may not be the right person for this....", etc. Maybe someone can get you to the right person. Again, be prepared to call A LOT

Hope this helps in some way.  Thanks!

Guaranteed Rate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron McCracken
Votes |
Replied Sep 28 2022, 09:17

Andrew, Thank you so much. This was extremely helpful. I have a ton of small banks in my area of Maryland and will take you advice when contacting them. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail. I am an investor with a few properties and about 4 years of experience, this advice will save me a tremendous amount of time contacting lenders.

Aaron

User Stats

Votes
Aaron McCracken
Votes |
Replied Sep 28 2022, 09:18

Alex-

Thank you as well.

User Stats

Votes
John Herold
  • Lender
  • Rogers, AR
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Rogers, AR
Replied Sep 30 2022, 08:27

Maybe try Spring EQ for HELOC options on an investment property. I think they go to 85% CLTV.