Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Greg Larson
  • Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
Best strategy for major repair needed & 50% equity?

Greg Larson
  • Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Posted Oct 11 2022, 08:38

Hi BP,

I have an appointment scheduled to go look at this property next Tuesday.  I'm hoping to hear opinions from other investors on the best way to handle a situation like this.

Situation:

A vacant home was burglarized and vandalized while the seller was in the hospital.  He says they gutted the place and stole everything including the AC.

He's now living out of state with family, because the subject property is unlivable.  

Numbers:

1300 sq ft ranch home.

I haven't seen the place yet, but I'm anticipating $80 - $90 /sq ft in repairs which would put the full rehab estimate at let's say $120k.

I've looked at comps and pegged the value to be approximately $215k.

The seller owes $85k on the property still. His monthly PITI is about $850

Solution:

The best solution I can think of here is to wholesale this deal to a fix & flip investor that would take the property over subject to and bring in their own funds for the rehab.  Then, eventually refinance when their rehab is complete.  However, I'm not sure that the numbers support that yet, plus a profit for the investor and an assignment fee. I'm hoping that I show up and the rehab is far less than what he's telling me, but that is wishful thinking!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, strategies, or feedback you can provide on this situation!

User Stats

Votes
James Dainard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 11:11

Hey Greg,

If you have the opportunity to walk the property make sure that you take photos of everything.

If you show up and it looks like you can take on the project, then you have all the photos to show your contractors what you want to do. If you get there and you realize that it isn't the project for you, you can use the photos to wholesale the deal to the next investor.

You could arbitrage it too if the numbers work. By finding out what the property requires in reno you can take that number to the seller and work a deal with them to split/share the costs. You can act almost as a property manager (check licensing requirements) and collect relatively passive income for having your teams maintain the property.

Best of luck!