User Stats

Votes
Leonel Almagro
Votes |
Parent’s can’t get prequalified for a loan but got 70k in savings

Leonel Almagro
Posted Oct 16 2022, 23:34

Hi everyone,

My parents did not have financial knowledge so they never built up their credit. They want to invest their money and get a duplex or house hack. I currently own a house that is rented out and I just closed on another one. My question is how can I help them get a property. Can they gift me that money so I use it for a down payment. 

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Beilke
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palm Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palm Coast, FL
Replied Oct 17 2022, 03:02

@Leonel Almagro

It's almost impossible in this day and age to not have a some type of credit history.  I applaud them for being able to pay in cash for everything, that is a goal of mine.  

The way you help them is to build a credit history. I would personally go with them to a credit union or bank and have them ask for a self secured credit card using a very small amount of that 70K, I''m thinking a 5K credit line. Do this at 2 or 3 different banks. Over them next 3 months they buy everything with that card, and I mean every thing from Food to gas to paying the water bill. Pay 95% of the bill each month and carry a very small balance. Once they have recorded 3 to months of credit history from 2 or more sources, they will have a credit score jump. Hopefully, that jump will be enough to pull the money for the self secure card back out and they pay off the small balance. I know this is not a quick fix but it will set them up moving forward. Second option is to co-sign with them on a loan, using your credit to help them get into a property while over time they make the payments and both of your credit history builds. This could hurt you having more loans out, if you are looking for more properties yourself and effect your DTI ratio.

• Real Estate Agent Florida (#SL3346780)

enkore Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Oct 17 2022, 05:28

Are you willing to co-sign on a mortgage for them?  Have them talk to the bank as they will have a credit score, it is just a matter of what it is.  Have them get one credit card and use it for a few regular purchases and pay the balance off in full each month.  The loan officer at the bank should also be able to tell them how to increase their credit score.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 17 2022, 07:13

They can use non QM mortgages like DSCR to buy a property. You can also create an entity with both of you as members and invest the money together

User Stats

Votes
Lumi Ispas
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 22 2022, 13:39

@Leonel Almagro, With FHA they can buy by showing that they've been paying on time their utility bills, phone bill, etc.

Also, you can add them on your credit cards for a fast way to show credit. 

Good luck!

Century 21 SGR Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Soto
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
  • Newark, NJ
Replied Oct 24 2022, 08:59

i 2nd the dscr loan. which state are you looking. maybe i can help you in the right direction

User Stats

Votes
Leonel Almagro
Votes |
Replied Oct 24 2022, 10:05

Thank you all for the responses. @Jonathan Soto they are currently in NJ.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Soto
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
  • Newark, NJ
Replied Oct 24 2022, 11:51
Quote from @Leonel Almagro:

Thank you all for the responses. @Jonathan Soto they are currently in NJ.

will message you