• New to Real Estate
  • Orangevale, CA
Votes |
Women Investing Grants

Laura Holford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orangevale, CA
Posted Oct 24 2022, 19:27

Hi there! I own a small woman Owned business and have been able to apply for small grants ($1000-$2000) along my journey that have been very helpful for my business. I was wondering if there is anything similar for women trying to break into real estate investing.

I bought my primary residence this year and am house hacking it, but am hoping to buy my first true investment property in the next year or two. I no longer am eligible for the FHA loan as a result, and used all my capital for my home. I am slowly saving, but just curious if there are any programs out there for women to get jumpstarted into the game.

Thanks for your advice.

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Yates
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied Oct 25 2022, 13:34

I wish I knew of some.  I have never heard of grants for investors.  Your best option may be to try to find someone who will seller finance with little down or even partner with someone else.  They say if you find a good deal the money will come.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 25 2022, 14:12

Just a a perspective here.

Minimum wage in California is $15/hr...$1,000 could be earned in about 1.5 weeks.

That's not very much money, to LLC up with an attorney can take more than that.

the 10% inflation they just kicked in ($30,000 minimum wage income per year X 10% = $3,000)

The $2,000 they gave you just evaporated and you are now $1,000 in the hole (what the right hand givith the left hand taketh away--in spades).

Seriously if they really wanted to push Female owned businesses up and increase their earnings--the grants should be 10 or 20 times (at a minimum) that--but with these petty amounts they treat you like a cheap date.

With $20,000 in your bank account for business use, it gives you a lot more options to make more money than $1,000.

Nothing wrong with taking free money--but keep it in perspective (especially when they tax you at year end)--these tiny amounts are not going to produce life changing earning potential in a small business.

for comparison in Austin they are giving $1 million dollar grant to the Black community (now that is some serious working capital that they can do something with to better their lives) https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2022/08/31/austin-tx-grant-prepares-give-1-million-black-community/65465865007/

The Women always get such tiny amounts, the table scraps of grants it seems like.

Good Luck with Real Estate, and in your business!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 1 2022, 11:37

You might think of buying a business occupied property and renting out the rest.

User Stats

Votes
David Friedman
  • Property Manager
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Nov 4 2022, 08:25

There are websites that will update you every day on new grants. I recommend you sign up for a few. Here is one that I use: https://grantsforus.io/?__cf_c...

I manage a lot of commercial property in the Inland Empire so I try to be a part of the community by sending my tenants relevant grants.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Holford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orangevale, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orangevale, CA
Replied Jan 31 2023, 09:44

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. @Sol Romand Do you mean looking at commercial or mixed use? 

@Scott Mac Thank you for bringing language to something I've been feeling but didn't quite have the words for. There truly is little time & money left after applying these grants and pay the taxes on them. Honestly, this is one of the reason I am looking to real estate to bolster my ability and financial stability so I can work on my business. 

Thank you everyone for helping me on my journey!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 9 2023, 11:29

Either. The ability to leverage your business and purchase real estate is valuable.