Bre Reichle
  • Investor
Votes |
Creative financing help needed

Bre Reichle
  • Investor
Posted Nov 11 2022, 06:35

Hey Guys. Here's my scenario:

I have a rental property that has recently started generating net $21,600/yr with energy of around $300,000

I have another property under rehab that will be ready by the first of year that will generate around $15,000/yr with an energy of around $152,000. 

I am not a W-2 employee. My only income are the properties. 

I would like to invest in a multi-family (duplex) next year. 

Are PMLs my only option? 

Thanks for all the help <3

User Stats

Votes
Charles Granja
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City/Chicago
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City/Chicago
Replied Nov 11 2022, 06:59
Quote from @Bre Reichle:

I have a rental property that has recently started generating net $21,600/yr with energy of around $300,000

I have another property under rehab that will be ready by the first of year that will generate around $15,000/yr with an energy of around $152,000. 

Are PMLs my only option? 

Hi,

You should be able to use some of that income to qualify you for the multi-family if you have rented them for 2 years. Otherwise, the current leases will negate the debt service and not affect DTI that comes from W-2. When you are buying next year, if you find a duplex that has an existing tenant, they can use 75% of the income to help qualify you for the property. Another way you can invest with no W-2 is DSCR loans but they aren't worth it for you and technically you aren't supposed to live there but I don't know all of the stipulations.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Tarashuk
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:04

There is always the option of partnerships as well.  Because you have 2 properties under your belt you can leverage that experience.  It may cut into how much cash flow you make off the property but it is commonly said on BP Podcasts that the best way to expand is through partnerships.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Bre Reichle
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:10
Quote from @Charles Granja:
Quote from @Bre Reichle:

Are PMLs my only option? 

Hi,

You should be able to use some of that income to qualify you for the multi-family if you have rented them for 2 years. Otherwise, the current leases will negate the debt service and not affect DTI that comes from W-2. When you are buying next year, if you find a duplex that has an existing tenant, they can use 75% of the income to help qualify you for the property. Another way you can invest with no W-2 is DSCR loans but they aren't worth it for you and technically you aren't supposed to live there but I don't know all of the stipulations.

Thank you so much for the guidance. I will try and locate a duplex with renters already present. That will be a big help. It has only been 6 months for that income and I do not live in either property. So, two years before I can tap into that energy? Ugh! :( 

Again, thank you so much. 

User Stats

Votes
Bre Reichle
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:11
Quote from @Chris Tarashuk:

There is always the option of partnerships as well.  Because you have 2 properties under your belt you can leverage that experience.  It may cut into how much cash flow you make off the property but it is commonly said on BP Podcasts that the best way to expand is through partnerships.

Ahhhhhh! yes! Thank you for that idea :) 

User Stats

Votes
Marty Johnston
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:43

@Bre Reichle you also have DSCR loan products to help you out which won't at all look at personal income, so DTI isn't even a factor considered. It will be solely based on the performance of the property you're looking to acquire, calculated as the Debt Service Coverage Ratio. Most DSCR loans like to see anywhere from 1.0 to 1.30 DSCR. (simplified, a 1.20 DSCR means for everything $1,000 in PITIA, you earn $1,200 /mo in gross rental income from the subject property).

Now many DSCR lenders may want to see prior experience, some don't! The downside to these lenders are rates are higher than banks. The benefit is no income paperwork. So if DTI is an issue, DSCR is the way to go. If you look good on paper with tax returns, Sch E (in your case), etc, then the bank will be your best friend and get better rates/lower costs.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Bre Reichle
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 11 2022, 12:27

Hey, thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor