Votes |
Private lender money

Nikko Tountas
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 14 2022, 19:51

Hey guys,

So I am just getting into the real estate investing industry and am looking to purchase a few properties. I have a private money lender I can turn to for covering the down payment on the properties. What I’m looking to see is what is the best way to structure the deal to get him his money back the quickest way. He wants nothing to do with the property just wants his money to make money. I would like to just have his assistance to just jump start my portfolio. Thanks in advance for any advice!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 14 2022, 19:55

Pay him monthly interest or a set return at the end of the project. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 14 2022, 19:56

I think having a 51/49 split so he’s a limited partner and you are a general partner could be the way to go - but do seek an attorney to verify as I am not one nor pretending to give legal advice. 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Raskin
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Nov 14 2022, 20:29

@NikkoTountas, I think it depends on if you would like him as a partner or just someone to help fund. If just to help fund, I would work out a finance agreement and consult an attorney in the process. I'm a mortgage broker that works on investment property loans who can shop your scenario to multiple lenders to get the best rates and terms to meet your goals. Let me know if you would like to discuss to see if there's a way I could help you leverage your cash to acquire more properties. Rental property loans or DSCR loans only take current or projected rents, credit score and down payment into consideration to determine rate and terms.

User Stats

Votes
Nikko Tountas
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 15 2022, 05:43
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

What is a typical good percentage for an ROI on a project like this?

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Nov 15 2022, 12:20
Quote from @Nikko Tountas:

Hey guys,

So I am just getting into the real estate investing industry and am looking to purchase a few properties. I have a private money lender I can turn to for covering the down payment on the properties. What I’m looking to see is what is the best way to structure the deal to get him his money back the quickest way. He wants nothing to do with the property just wants his money to make money. I would like to just have his assistance to just jump start my portfolio. Thanks in advance for any advice!

If he wants nothing to do with the loan and you're going for a long term rental, then you will have to probably source and season the funds to close for 60 days.  Not all lenders require it, but most do these days.  Funds to close include downpayment, closing costs and usually 6 months reserves.

If he wants to just be a money partner but still have his name on title in case something happens to you, set up an LLC that makes him a less than 20% owner. Most of the lenders in the DSCR space don't require anything (application, credit etc...) from any members with less than a 20% stake in the loan.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 15 2022, 13:09

@Nikko Tountas Read the BP books on how to structure these deals as a no money deal is harder for all parties involved to both get their money out and make enough money for it to be worth it.

But basically you need to get a property at such a low value that the forced appreciation makes money for all. 

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Woodard
  • Lender
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nationwide
Replied Nov 15 2022, 13:27

Hey guys,

First thing you should probably do is consult an attorney to keep everything square. The second thing is figure out your constraints with your partner. @Stephanie P. brought up a valid point with giving them a portion of membership that meets your lender's requirements. If it's a loan it will likely require some type of seasoning, or an explanation at the very least.

I'd be happy to answer any question I've worked with clients in various agreements. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:04

@Nikko Tountas

So there are typically two scenarios when working with private lenders.

There is an equity lender where the lender is part of the deal and receives a percentage return at the end. This is typically the scenario for flips.

There is a debt lender, where they are paid a percentage return. An example would be a 10% annual return until the property is sold or refinanced to pay the lender back with interest.

You also can do a combination of the two. The great thing is you can be as creative as you want.

User Stats

Votes
Nikko Tountas
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:09
Quote from @Stephanie P.:

Hey guys,

If he wants nothing to do with the loan and you're going for a long term rental, then you will have to probably source and season the funds to close for 60 days.  Not all lenders require it, but most do these days.  Funds to close include downpayment, closing costs and usually 6 months reserves.

If he wants to just be a money partner but still have his name on title in case something happens to you, set up an LLC that makes him a less than 20% owner. Most of the lenders in the DSCR space don't require anything (application, credit etc...) from any members with less than a 20% stake in the loan.

This is great info! I appreciate it the feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nikko Tountas
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:10
Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

@Nikko Tountas

So there are typically two scenarios when working with private lenders.

There is an equity lender where the lender is part of the deal and receives a percentage return at the end. This is typically the scenario for flips.

There is a debt lender, where they are paid a percentage return. An example would be a 10% annual return until the property is sold or refinanced to pay the lender back with interest.

You also can do a combination of the two. The great thing is you can be as creative as you want.

Yes I was leaning towards this specific property using the BRRRR method to refinance and get him his money back plus some interest. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:18

@Nikko Tountas

Private money is a great way to fund BRRRR deals. After my first BRRRR deal one of my investors funded my projects at 100% of purchase and rehab.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 15 2022, 19:55
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

What is a typical good percentage for an ROI on a project like this?

Typically 10% a year

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brady Hales
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Nov 15 2022, 20:27

@Nikko Tountas there are definitely a few ways you could go about this. To be official you would want to sign a promissory note as well as have his position secured against the property even if it is 2nd position. This way if anything goes south your relationship with him is protected as it is secured against the property. You could also do a JV agreement or even create an LLC where you are both members. If I were you I would just do a promissory note and lien against the property.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Nov 17 2022, 06:56

@Nikko Tountas when you refer to a private money lender, are you planning on using all private money and none of your own money? This is a common thing that pops up here on BP, but it is way harder to do in real life until you have an amazing track record. Most private money lenders will essentially take the 1st position mortgage in place of where you would normally go to a bank. 

Some investors use a private money mortgage in the second position, and they use that mortgage to decrease their down payment amount. Again, where this gets tricky is if you are using a 1st position mortgage still. The 1st position mortgage normally wants you to have skin in the game. 

If you are doing a partnership, this can be one of the best ways. You can bring a small part of the equity (maybe 20-40%) and your capital partner can bring the other part of the equity. You can then structure the equity split to compensate you for finding the deal, managing the deal, managing construction, etc. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo