• Franklin, TN
Votes |
Owner Financing Help

Elijah Jay Dangerfield
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Posted Nov 23 2022, 07:54

Hello!

I recently found myself in a situation where owner financing is an option for me to get into my next deal. I am working with the owner now on a set of terms that works for the both of us. I am now frantically searching on the internet to learn what all is needed paperwork wise to structure an owner financing deal in Tennessee. I have read some online resources that say that it may be very hard to do in Tennessee so I now have come to the place with the best people to see if anyone has any advice for me to figure this out. 

Thank you guys!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Herman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 23 2022, 12:05

@Elijah Jay Dangerfield A quick google search shows that land contracts are valid in TN.  To be sure consult a real estate attorney in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 22:14

I have not done any of these in TN, what I would do is call a title company and ask what kind of paperwork is needed to make a owner finance transaction happen 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 24 2022, 03:38

@Elijah Jay Dangerfield

Do not do a land contract. Treat it like a traditional deal with a note and deed of trust/mortgage. Find a local title company and they can handle the paperwork

User Stats

Votes
Elijah Jay Dangerfield
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Replied Feb 10 2023, 08:48

Thank you guys for all of the help! the deal ended up falling a part but im glad I was able to push myself into the position where it was an option. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 10 2023, 09:14

A promissory note along with a mortgage (or deed of trust) are the two biggest documents you will want to secure. Also, make sure your name is on the deed and you are actually the owner of the property, known as a warranty deed. With a land contract, the seller still controls ownership of the property.