Votes
Glenn P Kakugawa
Pro Member
Votes |
1st vs 2nd position HELOC advice

Glenn P Kakugawa
Pro Member
Posted Dec 3 2022, 13:32

We are trying to decide whether to use 1st or 2nd position HELOC to fund our investment property down payment. Any advice is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Dec 3 2022, 13:40

Do you own something free and clear? That is the only way I can think of a HELOC being a first position. Otherwise, by default, a HELOC would always be 2nd position, to my knowledge.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn P Kakugawa
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 3 2022, 14:07
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

Do you own something free and clear? That is the only way I can think of a HELOC being a first position. Otherwise, by default, a HELOC would always be 2nd position, to my knowledge.

No, we still owe on our first mortgage, however the lender is asking if we would like a 1st or 2nd position heloc. I know there are advantages to both depending on the situation (ie. using the heloc to pay off the mortgage), however that is not what we are doing at this point in time. Just wondering if there are other advantages to putting the heloc in first position. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 4 2022, 05:31

@Glenn P Kakugawa

You can’t put the heloc in first position if you already have a mortgage. Your lender would never let you subordinate the loan. You would need to get your first position lender to sign documents stating this.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 4 2022, 07:00
Quote from @Glenn P Kakugawa:
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

No, we still owe on our first mortgage, however the lender is asking if we would like a 1st or 2nd position heloc. 

Definitely keep a low fixed first if you have it.  What's the rate of your current mortgage?  

Helocs are variable and have fine print that allows them to freeze or call.  Fixed first is safer for you. Do not pay off your first with a heloc. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Dec 4 2022, 08:05
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

No, we still owe on our first mortgage, however the lender is asking if we would like a 1st or 2nd position heloc. I know there are advantages to both depending on the situation (ie. using the heloc to pay off the mortgage), however that is not what we are doing at this point in time. Just wondering if there are other advantages to putting the heloc in first position. 

The only way I see that being possible is if your HELOC pays off the first position loan, and instead of having that loan, you have a new loan, being the HELOC. If the existing loan does exist, it is in first position, and won't give up first position unless paid off or refinanced.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn P Kakugawa
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 4 2022, 10:06

Thank you all! Great advice!

User Stats

Votes
Glenn P Kakugawa
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 4 2022, 10:07
Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

No, we still owe on our first mortgage, however the lender is asking if we would like a 1st or 2nd position heloc. 

Definitely keep a low fixed first if you have it.  What's the rate of your current mortgage?  

Helocs are variable and have fine print that allows them to freeze or call.  Fixed first is safer for you. Do not pay off your first with a heloc. 

Current mortgage rate is 2.75%

User Stats

Votes
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 4 2022, 12:29
Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

Current mortgage rate is 2.75%

Ok then hell no.  Heloc 2nd only.