Votes
Zachary Roberts
Pro Member
Votes |
Business Credit as Down Payment.

Zachary Roberts
Pro Member
Posted Dec 12 2022, 16:11

Hello BP community! Currently at 5 properties. Four from moving every year and one from putting 20% down for an investment loan. However, this process is feeling too slow using my own money. Has anyone here created an LLC and used business credit to purchase properties, or at least fund the down payment? I am good at spotting deals; I simply cannot afford the down payment and fund the renovations and was looking into using business credit. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 13 2022, 04:40
Quote from @Zachary Roberts:

Hello BP community! Currently at 5 properties. Four from moving every year and one from putting 20% down for an investment loan. However, this process is feeling too slow using my own money. Has anyone here created an LLC and used business credit to purchase properties, or at least fund the down payment? I am good at spotting deals; I simply cannot afford the down payment and fund the renovations and was looking into using business credit. Thanks!

You would be borrowing money to borrow money, which I don't recommend. Borrowing more than 80% can be overleveraged. It's absolutely possible to do, and it's possible to do it without crashing, but it's a house of cards. Even a very disciplined person can be caught by a market shift that brings it crashing down.

Do you have equity in your properties? If so, get a line of credit. Use that to purchase the property, fix it up, rent it, then refinance it for the higher price. Use the cash from the refinance to pay of your line of credit. Rinse and repeat. After enough deals, you should eventually build up a pile of cash and the line of credit will no longer be needed.

I only recommend borrowing from a line of credit or hard money lender if you know the balance can be paid off in less than one year.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 13 2022, 05:47
Quote from @Zachary Roberts:

I am good at spotting deals; I simply cannot afford the down payment and fund the renovations and was looking into using business credit. Thanks!

Since typical LLCs are pass-through and essentially disregarded (especially SMLLCs) lenders aren't really bowled over impressed or eager to lend to an entity itself without personal guarantees.  

Identifying deals is the toughest part. Form an LLC and bring in a money partner. Plenty of people looking for passive RE investment if you identify, acquire and operate it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 13 2022, 06:41

This is where you need to make the decision on flipping one per 2 you hold. You will quickly run out of money if you purely buy & hold. 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Dec 13 2022, 06:58

There are definitely lenders out there that will let you use business credit to fund your down payment, good luck!