Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes

Plz help- need creative funding to buyback my grandmothers reverse mortgage.

Melissa Marques
Posted Mar 29 2023, 23:29

As the title implies, my grandmother recently passed away and had a reverse mortgage on the home with a debt of $400,000 house is worth at least $800,000.

Main issue is I am self-employed, and my income is really low, but my credit score good (700-770).

A large room with its own entrance and bathroom was added onto the house like the 70's which can probably be turned into an ADU. I know there are some programs encouraging this by giving grants for this due to the housing crisis. But above all, my income is the problem. Since I can rent out the ADU I know some lenders would count that 75% of potential income onto my income, but they are hard to come by.

Anyone with info, or anyone interested in investing with me on this great deal. If your experienced in creative funding, lets talk! 

Thanks!!

Melissa, 33

Hayward, CA

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Mar 30 2023, 00:10
Quote from @Melissa Marques:

As the title implies, my grandmother recently passed away and had a reverse mortgage on the home with a debt of $400,000 house is worth at least $800,000.

Main issue is I am self-employed, and my income is really low, but my credit score good (700-770).

A large room with its own entrance and bathroom was added onto the house like the 70's which can probably be turned into an ADU. I know there are some programs encouraging this by giving grants for this due to the housing crisis. But above all, my income is the problem. Since I can rent out the ADU I know some lenders would count that 75% of potential income onto my income, but they are hard to come by.

Anyone with info, or anyone interested in investing with me on this great deal. If your experienced in creative funding, lets talk! 

Thanks!!

Melissa, 33

Hayward, CA

Has the property been probated?

How many heirs are there?

Does eveyone agree to let you Buy It?

How much time before the bank sells the house at foreclosure?

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Marques
Replied Mar 30 2023, 11:11

It will not go through probate. There are 3 heirs and yes they agree to let me buy it. 

We probably have around 6 months

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Mar 30 2023, 11:54

Sorry to hear about your GMa's passing! :( 

There are options, even for self employed. i have a lender, for example, which will use 100% of your 1099 income to qualify you, as opposed to your tax returns (fannie and freddie) with all of your write-offs. 

You could also look into bank statement loans, which use your deposits to qualify you instead of your tax returns. 

If you don't intend to live there, you could also try to finance using some type of DSCR loan, which would be based off the tenants paying rent as opposed to you as a borrower.

i suggest you reach out to a mortgage broker (broker specifically, as they should have lending OPTIONS for you) to take a look at your entire financial picture and tell you what would be your best solution. 

Best of luck! 

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Mar 30 2023, 15:53

Thanks!!

Melissa, 33

Hayward, CA

You should be able to refinance the property once you and the other heirs are in title. You can go up to 75% loan to value cash out meaning your loan amount will be 600K.  Maybe the heirs will take a little less than market and let you keep the property in the family.  This loan doesn't require income other than what you can get for the property and has to be non-owner occupied.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Rine
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 5 2023, 19:05

@Melissa Marques..is the property going to be non-owner occupied?  Or are you trying to buy it to live in it?  Condolences to your grandmother's passing (I'm going through the same thing right now, literally).  That first question is going to be the kicker of what your options are and what potential loan options that you could utilize.  There are definitely programs that allow for self-employed people to get creative, but that's where I'd start.  PM if you need to.  Thanks

• Lender California (#01915324) and California (#893462)

United Lending Partners Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 5 2023, 20:09

@Melissa Marques

My condolences.

Have you considered seeing if someone would do a lease option with you? If it’s owner occupied it will be extemely difficult to get a loan because of government regulations

Unfortunately if you cannot afford it your best bet may be to try and sell it before it goes to auction.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Marques
Replied May 31 2023, 14:28
Quote from @Sasha Mohammed:

Sorry to hear about your GMa's passing! :( 

There are options, even for self employed. i have a lender, for example, which will use 100% of your 1099 income to qualify you, as opposed to your tax returns (fannie and freddie) with all of your write-offs. 

You could also look into bank statement loans, which use your deposits to qualify you instead of your tax returns. 

If you don't intend to live there, you could also try to finance using some type of DSCR loan, which would be based off the tenants paying rent as opposed to you as a borrower.

i suggest you reach out to a mortgage broker (broker specifically, as they should have lending OPTIONS for you) to take a look at your entire financial picture and tell you what would be your best solution. 

Best of luck! 

Thank you so much

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Marques
Replied May 31 2023, 14:42
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Melissa Marques

My condolences.

Have you considered seeing if someone would do a lease option with you? If it’s owner occupied it will be extemely difficult to get a loan because of government regulations

Unfortunately if you cannot afford it your best bet may be to try and sell it before it goes to auction.

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you explain to me what a lease option is and how to go about it that way?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 1 2023, 17:29

@Melissa Marques

First off, is the house is still In her name or has it been in probate or ownership transferred?

If so, you could sell the home to someone and either sell it at a discount and have the discount credit rent back to you to allow you to live in it and also include a lease option where you rent it for a period of time and have say 5 years to buy it from them.

We have done things like long term leases (10 years) with options etc to create win wins for both sides

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Marques
Replied Jun 12 2023, 08:28

@Melissa Marques

First off, is the house is still In her name or has it been in probate or ownership transferred?

If so, you could sell the home to someone and either sell it at a discount and have the discount credit rent back to you to allow you to live in it and also include a lease option where you rent it for a period of time and have say 5 years to buy it from them.

We have done things like long term leases (10 years) with options etc to create win wins for both sides

This sounds like a good option.

How do i find buyers who are willing to buy and lease to purchase?

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Marques
Replied Jun 12 2023, 08:29

@Melissa Marques

The house is in a trust and  will not go to probate

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 12 2023, 08:36

@Melissa Marques

This sounds like a good option.

How do i find buyers who are willing to buy and lease to purchase?

Market the deal to them. We would be happy to take a look at it.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.