Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Matt Wells
Votes |
Can I refinance a primary residence loan if I'm now using it as a rental property?

Matt Wells
Posted Apr 23 2023, 14:24

If I have a property in a primary residence 30-year conventional loan and I am now using it as a rental property, can I refinance it in the same primary residence loan, or would I get higher investment property rates?

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Apr 23 2023, 14:43

@Matt Wells

If it is no longer your primary, you would get investment rates on a refi.  The first question always asked is, "Are you going to live there?"  If the answer is "no", it will get investment rates.  Also, if you are going to cash out refinance it, your rate will be even higher.  Each item you tack on adds to the risk for the lender, so the rate goes up.  A straight refi on an investment will be more than on a primary, and a cash out refi will probably add on .375 to .5% in my experience.  If cash out refi-ing your property, you will be expected to leave at least 20-25% equity in the property.. sometimes some lenders push it to 30%.

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Matt Wells
Votes |
Replied Apr 23 2023, 15:37

@Randall Alan Thanks! Very helpful.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Apr 28 2023, 08:43

Usually you can move out after living your primary residence for at least year. It depends if you refinance as cash out or rate/term but yes in general rates for investment properties are typically higher and lower LTV being able to pull out. What's your scenario? What is your current rate for the existing primary? You can potentially look into HELOC where rates are typically more justifiable for primary. Also, you will only be required to payoff whatever you pulled in terms of funds +interest.

@Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Apr 29 2023, 06:31
Quote from @Matt Wells:

If I have a property in a primary residence 30-year conventional loan and I am now using it as a rental property, can I refinance it in the same primary residence loan, or would I get higher investment property rates?

If you don't live there, it would be an investment property.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2023, 17:04
Quote from @Matt Wells:

Hey Matt, 

Unfortunately you would need to refi into an investment property loan. But fortunately the rates aren't too far off from what you would get on a primary loan

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Sep 19 2023, 10:32

Why do you want to refi? To get cash out? Has the property been on your taxes for 2 years? If so, it is a "business" in the eyes of lenders and you can do a rental refi, but rates are probably higher than when you bought it. Do a Heloc instead if you are trying to pull cash out to reinvest.