Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Magen Wheeler
Votes |
New residential loan questions

Magen Wheeler
Posted May 26 2023, 13:46

My husband and I are expected to build our first home spring of 2024.

1. If we get the general contractor to build the home through drywall, but we want to hire others to finish the inside. Loan wise, how can we do this?

2. Is there a way to include a pool installation into our build loan? & if so, how?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied May 26 2023, 15:23
Quote from @Magen Wheeler:

My husband and I are expected to build our first home spring of 2024.

1. If we get the general contractor to build the home through drywall, but we want to hire others to finish the inside. Loan wise, how can we do this?

2. Is there a way to include a pool installation into our build loan? & if so, how?

Thanks!

This is a great question for your lender. They can answer both of those questions, and, because they are actually doing the transaction, the answers will be accurate. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 29 2023, 13:36

@Magen Wheeler yes, agree.  The 2nd question must go through your lender.  The first question is actually for your approved contractor.  It's their license and insurance.  If they are ok with someone else doing work, that's their call.  They will be using subs throughout the project anyway so just ask if they are ok with a different set of subs.  However, don't be surprised if they say no on this though.  They usually want to work with people they know and trust.  But still is worth the question.

Hope all of that makes sense.  

Guaranteed Rate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 29 2023, 14:24

@Magen Wheeler

Lenders typically will say no to the option to do your own work as they are concerned home does not get completed

Regarding a pool, I highly doubt it as it adds almost no value to the home and the cost of the pool in most areas is very expensive. This would be something you most likely have to pay out of pocket

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 31 2023, 04:22

We're not licensed in TN, so am a completely unbiased party here. We would included the pool, but we would require that the GC take it across the finish line to CO. I can appreciate the desire for sweat equity, but the risk to the lender is pretty high when a homeowner gets involved to finish the job. Outside of perhaps a local community bank, I don't think anyone would allow you to put in sweat equity on a consumer mortgage transaction.