Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Paul G.
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Structure my Business Proposal - Do numbers make sense?

Paul G.
  • Gilbert, AZ
Posted Oct 13 2017, 15:17

I'm going to a family member who is a big time REI. I'm going to pitch him an idea for a property that happens to be right next door to me and is going into foreclosure. The auction is a few months away. I'm asking him to be my cash partner. I've never done a deal like this before and I haven't approached him to do a deal (I'm a buy and hold investor, so this is foreign to me).

I will give the high level summary, but understand that I know for a fact the ARV is correct. This property will be going to public auction in the next few months. My business proposal that I'm sending to him is 7 pages and literally spells everything out. I'm going to not bore everyone with the details, but needless to say, all my numbers presented below are backed up with information.

I know one problem right off the bat is I might not have enough skin in the game for his liking.

Purchase Price: Not to exceed $275,000 at public auction

Rehab Cost: estimated up to $20,000

Estimated rehab time: 1 month light rehab

After Repair Value: $410,000

Exit Strategy: Sell to a retail buyer.

Estimated total time of collaboration: Not to exceed 6 months.

Security Instruments: Free and clear of all loans. Property will be used as collateral in our agreement.

Investment Amount: Up to $260,000 to cover purchase at auction. Rehab would be split 50/50, if required.

Closing: would need funds available the day after the auction date

Terms Offered: 

A) 20% of profit*

B) 15% APY simple interest paid at end.*

* Whichever is higher at the completion of the project

Potential overall profit: $110K ($410K - 300K (assuming closing/rehab + initial cash)) - Closing costs for selling of about 25K.

Total Profit: 85K

My Takehome: 68K

His Take Home: 17K (6%, 18% if done in 4 months, or 12% if done in 6 months)

This house was built within the past 3 years, so there should be nothing wrong with the inside unless the owner goes all vindictive and starts trashing things.  I would be handling all the remodeling etc.

My goal is to make this stand up on its own and have him view it strictly from a business standpoint.  Is this enough profit for him to get excited about?  We're talking profit of around 15K-20K for him over a 4 month window.  That's an Annual Return for him of 18%...

Would this deal make sense, or would I get laughed out of the room?  

Loading replies...