User Stats

Votes
Grace Kwon
Votes |
Does the FHA guarantee the total loan amount after the 3.5% down

Grace Kwon
Posted Nov 7 2019, 15:16

Hi all,

I wanted to ask a clarifying question on FHA loan limits. I know there are caps for the amount of loan you can receive under FHA, depending on the area you are looking to buy in, however, my question is, is there a cap on the loan amount you can get? For example, if we are looking in an area that has a FHA loan limit of $500,000, and I find a property for that amount- as long as I put down 3.5%, will the FHA loan me the remaining $482,500, or are there situations where they won't lend me the entire remaining amount?

I only ask because under a conventional loan, even if you put down 20%, you still need to shop within the mortgage loan you were pre-approved for. For example, if the bank only approved you for $400,000, you wouldn't be able to buy a home that's $600,000 since 20% of $600,000 still puts you above the $400,000 you were pre-approved for. But if I were to get a $600,000 home under FHA, I could still theoretically get it because all I need is 3.5% and the FHA will loan me the rest, as long as it's at or under the loan cap rate for that area?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Grace

Loading replies...